justification

crtbc

Hatching
5 Years
May 21, 2014
So I was wanting to get into meat birds for sustainability and saw Cornish x.....I know I can't need them true and doing the math it doesn't add up...from 1 day till 8 weeks would cost me $8 per bird at least making it essentially$4/lbs. Which is higher than store bought....how do people justify this other then hormone fee, free graze hippie logic. Now I can understand getting a few and having them lay eggs to raise and slaughter but what's the draw on cx breed??

I would say the quick turnover. You get chicks, 8 weeks later you have supper. That's my opinion anyway. Those who actually raise them may have a different answer. I used to, but am trying Freedom Rangers this year instead. Heritage breeds take a lot longer and don't get quite as meaty. It's all what you're looking for in a chicken, I guess. Even the Cornish X are better than anything you could buy at the grocery store. That's what it comes down to for me. Quality vs. cost.

How did you come up with $4 lb? If each bird costs $8 to raise, and a processed bird weighs 4 lbs, the cost per pound is $2.

Maybe I'm figuring this wrong...I'm a hunter and am use to getting 25-33% meat return on animals...birds having less dense skin and bone maybe I computed wrong..but I looked at how many pounds food it takes to get to 8 weeks then I get feed for 18$/50 lbs plus cost of bird

Where do y'all get your cx from
How are you getting food to make it $1.75-2/lbs. I was thinking feeding start and grow with added protein(bugs)

You get 70% of the live weight with these birds. I get them from Mt, Healthy, fantastic stock. Same with Welp hatcheries. Don't guess on how many pounds of food it takes. Private message me for some more information on exact weights and feed lbs.

The birds you raise will taste different. We grow them because of taste and size. We got tired of those small chickens, and the flavor. It is not because you can raise them cheaper, and certainly not because it is easier. The biggest reason was because of processing control. We know how they were processed, how long they had been soaked in water, and what that water looks like.

Back
Top Bottom