Kansas City Missouri, KCMO Law & Ordinance - Chickens or Bust!!

Lime is no issue for the garden it's the chickens it may not be good for. The laws say it's for odor and fly control. I started looking at that when I read that and remembering we used to use it when our dirt floor old barn was stinky and the flies were crazy--back when I lived in the country. It is an extension service link:

http://articles.extension.org/pages/66918/use-of-lime-in-poultry-houses.

I'm betting if there is no pest issue or odor problem if it's checked by codes it wouldn't be an issue. Since I live in a neighborhood with just normal yards I was thinking it may be a good idea but will hunt other methods if the flies get bad.

Good that your neighbor is OK with chickens.

Thanks, I was under the impression that doing the deep bed in the coop would make it nearly odorless, and manure would dry out generally if they are just running around the yard or in runs...

Thanks, I was under the impression that doing the deep bed in the coop would make it nearly odorless, and manure would dry out generally if they are just running around the yard or in runs...

I think it will but am investing in a pitch fork to turn the run bedding when it gets wet it will dry faster. I'm using straw and it does tend to compact some when it gets wet and takes awhile to dry out. My run will be covered but with our winds I know it will get wet.

Got a hold of my other neighbors tonight and she semi-joked about needing to close the window in the summer if we get chickens (even though the nearest corner of their house will be at LEAST 100', maybe 120-130' from where the coop would be...

Got a hold of my other neighbors tonight and she semi-joked about needing to close the window in the summer if we get chickens (even though the nearest corner of their house will be at LEAST 100', maybe 120-130' from where the coop would be...

That's goofy, is she thinking roosters? or that chickens are noisy? I'm sure my dogs make much more noise than a few chickens. How many people here keep their windows open in the summer anyway???

Well, I was just rather surprised that she was the one who expressed any concern (maybe has never been around chickens in her life... dunno, she just retired, but might have always lived in a city...), and the other neighbor lady who is 75 or so and the neighborhood Nosy Nancy who observes everything and everyone, just said something along the lines of "Oh, that's interesting"... LOL

I also saw the neighbor with the obnoxious black dog who we share the back fence with, and chatted with him, told him I was planning on constructing something to block of the sight of that dog better. The chain link is 4' tall, and I told him we are planning to get some chickens and he was cool with it, even with building something along the fence maybe 5' to 5 1/2' tall, probably from pallet slates and maybe some 2x2s. He just said to make sure I told all my friends to save their egg cartons for me. :)

Funny how things work. People who have always lived in the city I can understand being skeptical as they probably have never been around any type of farm animals. Most of my neighbors on my side of the street are never in their backyards, so could care less. MMM a fence with pallet slats interesting. Might be a future project, if I can find a source for pallets next year. Have more than enough to get done at the moment.

No idea as we don't need a permit in Independence. I sure wish my friend would take his Roo though, he has claimed him but he is still here. One of my hens turned into a roo..LOL none allowed here and he is getting noisier.

Back
Top Bottom