Keel wound Treatment

Kalsti

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
My goose (Joey) has a keel wound (5" long by 1" wide) that has never healed, and the vet says she is around 9 years-- older, apparently. This open scabbed area she has had for as long as I have had her....It is like a pressure sore that debilitated people can get from lying in one spot for too long. She was lame when I got her and apparently that caused the keel wound.

I am leary of getting surgery for it as a lot of the vets say it will not work due to the constant stress put on the chest muscles.....It is for this reason mainly that I worry about her-- as she is not young still and I feel this problem makes her more vulnerable, etc.

Does anyone have experience with this and how best to deal with it? I have been using Veterycin on and off as needed. I keep the hay and shavings as clean and dry as possible. And a woman with horses told me to use a charcoal-type powder in the wound and leave it un-bandaged overnight. (She used it effectively for her horses with open cuts.)

There is not much data online about these types of keel wounds-- so I wondered if anyone online has a good recomentation. Appreciate any help on this!
Thanks~

My goose (Joey) has a keel wound (5" long by 1" wide) that has never healed, and the vet says she is around 9 years-- older, apparently. This open scabbed area she has had for as long as I have had her....It is like a pressure sore that debilitated people can get from lying in one spot for too long. She was lame when I got her and apparently that caused the keel wound.

I am leary of getting surgery for it as a lot of the vets say it will not work due to the constant stress put on the chest muscles.....It is for this reason mainly that I worry about her-- as she is not young still and I feel this problem makes her more vulnerable, etc.

Does anyone have experience with this and how best to deal with it? I have been using Veterycin on and off as needed. I keep the hay and shavings as clean and dry as possible. And a woman with horses told me to use a charcoal-type powder in the wound and leave it un-bandaged overnight. (She used it effectively for her horses with open cuts.)

There is not much data online about these types of keel wounds-- so I wondered if anyone online has a good recomentation. Appreciate any help on this!
Thanks~

K did you try the charcoal type powder on Joey over night? A member on the duck/goose thread mentioned using Veterinus Derma Gel on their water fowl so I ordered some off Amazon. I have been using it on my Hens feet[chicken] she had bumble foot last year and she has deep pockets under each foot that catches all kinds of nasties so I wash her feet real good in soap and warm water then I have to clean out the pockets after that I make sure her feet are dry then spray the Derma Gel It has helped alot. That and Veterycin are my 2 stand by's I'm sure others have their specials.

Last edited:
Thanks P! Yes, I put it on her at night as she is bedding down. I didn't see the post about the Veterinus Derma Gel. Thanks--- I will get some!
Your little guys are sure lucky to have your care!
K

Thanks P! Yes, I put it on her at night as she is bedding down. I didn't see the post about the Veterinus Derma Gel. Thanks--- I will get some!
Your little guys are sure lucky to have your care!
K
Yours too K
2665.png

Back
Top Bottom