keep chickens in yard

Chickensof4

Hatching
Aug 22, 2018
I have 2 black sexlinks and 2 barred rocks. One of my BS, Thelma, keeps getting over the 4+ft hedge. I have clipped both wings now and she got over AGAIN! Help, I don't know what else to do. The other 3 are content to stay in my yard. There is traffic on the other side

I have 2 black sexlinks and 2 barred rocks. One of my BS, Thelma, keeps getting over the 4+ft hedge. I have clipped both wings now and she got over AGAIN! Help, I don't know what else to do. The other 3 are content to stay in my yard. There is traffic on the other side
Next time don't clip both just clip one side bc if you clip both then they will gain muscle in their wings each time they fly which will help them. If you only clip one then it will only be able to fly up for the most part. I only recommend this if you are having a lot of trouble with her escaping

Next time don't clip both just clip one side bc if you clip both then they will gain muscle in their wings each time they fly which will help them. If you only clip one then it will only be able to fly up for the most part. I only recommend this if you are having a lot of trouble with her escaping
I started out only clipping 1...that did not help at all

Do you have a covered run you can keep them in? I've seen my neighbors' large red chickens, Barred Rocks, and bantams fly over their four foot fence... In my opinion, a covered run...whether you cover it with a roof or netting...would be a lot more safer for your chickens, even if you don't have them locked in it all the time. Four feet just won't hold a lot of birds in if they're not content and are determined to get out. Or you could add two more feet to your current fence and try that; she shouldn't be able to fly over a six foot fence (it stopped my neighbors birds from getting out when they put a six-foot fence beside the four foot one in that particular area...but then their pullets and bantams found a hole in the ground that they could use to go in and out, lol).

Do you have a covered run you can keep them in? I've seen my neighbors' large red chickens, Barred Rocks, and bantams fly over their four foot fence... In my opinion, a covered run...whether you cover it with a roof or netting...would be a lot more safer for your chickens, even if you don't have them locked in it all the time. Four feet just won't hold a lot of birds in if they're not content and are determined to get out. Or you could add two more feet to your current fence and try that; she shouldn't be able to fly over a six foot fence (it stopped my neighbors birds from getting out when they put a six-foot fence beside the four foot one in that particular area...but then their pullets and bantams found a hole in the ground that they could use to go in and out, lol).

I have an area that I am hoping to close off for a run. Their coop has a small area, but in my opinion it is too small. I just need to get the materials and try to dig holes in our very rocky ground. Can't add to existing fence since in is covered with the shrubs.

Lattice is cheap and you could attach it to rebar to make a fence in front of the hedge..:idunno
Easily rebar can be pounded into the ground..
Our ground is really rocky. I will have to see if we have a spare piece of rebar around and try putting it back there. There is also a big tree with roots I need to get around.

I have said it many times, clipping both wings will not stop jumping.
What I would do is try to find out what she is after, hidden nest, green grass, grit, space, whatever, and fix that. Also when one goes over a fence I get out the fish dip net, and catch them. They hate, I mean hate the fish net! The fish net may well be my best training device. Every hen and rooster that sees it calls a warning,,,
Good luck!

Edit some of my internal fencing is only 36 inches,,,

It seems like if they're determined, they'll get over a fence. Mine are kept in a repurposed dog kennel when we're not home during the day (free range the yard when we're home). The kennel has 6'tall fencing, and a slanted roof. Since the metal roof is slanted, there's a 2' gap near the house, which gets smaller as you get further from the house.

I saw one of our light brahmas jump on top of their night time coop's roof, then on top of the century fence, then out of the enclosure. She was scared. Never saw that again, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom