Keeping a Blind Chicken

Thank you for sharing this story! I had the exact same thing happen to my girls last night. I lost three of my 5 month old hens, but one of my girls survived with the same injuries as FC. I am trying to figure out a way to feed her since she seems to be blind in both eyes. I will check out tube feeding.

Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks for the info, I will check out the post. Currently, I am feeding her with a 1 mL syringe, and it seems to be going okay, just takes a long time. I wanted to ask you, when FC had her injuries, were her eyes ever bubbly? One of my bird's eyes (the one she opens) gets bubbly. Also, do you remember if her face smelled bad? My bird's face smells kind of like when a person is sick and hasn't eaten anything or has mucous (sorry for the gross description). She is also breathing with her mouth, and it sounds labored. I was reading some posts about Coryza, and I'm hoping she didn't catch that on top of the injuries she got from that raccoon. I just wanted to know if your bird also experienced the same kinds of symptoms. I can't tell if her nostrils are plugged so she is stinky and breathing with her mouth, or if it's something more sinister.

Thanks for your time!

I cried when I read this! You are a wonderful person for caring so much about FC and making her a happy and comfortable chicken again. Thank you for sharing this inspiring story.

kisses4chickens, my little lady did not have bubbly eyes or stinky breath after the incident. Her eyes were swollen shut for a while. After do a quick search, those symptoms you describe sound like she may have gotten an infection. I am not an expert but a broad spectrum antiobiotic might be a good place to start. Hope she heals quickly! Keep us posted!

Thanks again for the info and all your help, you're awesome! I started giving her garlic and ginger, and the smell is gone, woo hoo! She seems to have improved a tiny bit. She still isn't eating or drinking, but at least she is moving around a little more. I'll keep you posted.

That's great!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for giving FC a chance to continue on. I have a blind hen, too, but she hatched with her condition so probably found different ways of adapting. She follows sound very well and definitely depends on her sisters a lot. Contrats on saving her.

Glad I found this thread.
I am so happy to hear of FC.
love.gif
She is beautiful and the pictures you took of her with the flowers look like heaven to me!

I have a blind chick, her name is Chicken Little. She is 2 months old, born on Mothers Day 2016.
She became blind at one week old when a squirrel dug under the hardware cloth in her brooder and she escaped from her Mothers protection. One other chick was killed and Chicken Little had her eye pecked out most likely from the other flock members. For some reason she cannot see out of the other eye that didnt look damaged. She had some heavy swelling in the brain so maybe that did it. We didnt think she would make it but my hubby and I didnt have the heart to end her life.

So she is doing well now, she can find her food and water and she is in a coop with her 2 other sisters from that hatch. Her sisters go up to roost at night and leave her alone. I was looking for advice on where to keep her as she gets older. She is a little black bantam cochin. I want her to be a chicken if that makes sense and have a good life. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Marie

Back
Top Bottom