Keeping a Blind Chicken

Pics

lala4578

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Hello BYC Friends!

I want to share a story with you about my blind chicken. I believe she is alive today because of all the helpful people who post on this website, and for that I am so grateful.
Meet FC. Yep that's her name.

She was a riley pullet so a funny name seemed fitting for this carrot colored lady. Ironically, once she hit puberty her personality totally mellowed out and she became one of my sweetest most personable birds. She popped out fire colored eggs almost everyday, so the name had to stick! I got her as a baby with one other bird. She and her sister Chelsea were like two peas in a pod. They always stuck together, side by side, while exploring the great beyond.
Below is a picture of them, this is the day FC laid her first egg. I don’t think she recognized it!

Here is what they looked like as young chicks.

Exactly a month ago this night, tragedy struck. The flock was attacked in the night and in the morning I came out to find most of my hens strewn around the run, feathers everywhere, bodies mutilated. Only a couple were actually eaten, and the rest of them were killed for sport, had their beaks or faces or part of their head ripped off. I am so sad for how much they must have suffered, and how scared they were in those moments. I still miss those birds very much, they were my babies. I am 99% confident this was the work of a raccoon. Security was promptly beefed up to prevent this from happening ever again.
Shockingly, I had a few survivors. Chelsea was one, although not unscathed. She had patches of missing feathers and one small cut on her. She also developed some unusual behaviors I will write about in another post. I found FC standing in the corner of the run motionless, and I thought she was dead. Then, her tail twitched. I scooped her up and rushed her inside.
FC was badly injured. She had cuts all over her face, comb, waddles, and both her eyes were swollen shut. There was a lot of swelling around her head. She had many more bald spots and a few shallow cuts on her body. I cleaned her up and put Vetericyn on all of her sores. She did not move and had no interest in food or water. She stayed inside and for the next few days. I force fed her scrambled eggs and wet bread, but that became very tolling on the both of us. She fought it as much as she could. She used to talk to me all the time, and now it is the silent treatment. I could not coax her out of it. She always hung her head low and had her tail down. She was already a tiny bird and was quickly becoming just skin and bones. I was becoming convinced she did not want to live. Maybe it would be better if I put her down.
This is where Katheter Queen Kathy’s advice saves the day (see Go Team ‘Tube Feeding’). It wasn’t time to give up yet. FC received tube feeding as well as antibiotics over the next several days. Tube feeding was so much easier and less stressful on her, and she was slowly gaining weight. She was able to take larger portions gradually. After about a week she was ready to eat and drink on her own. Her swelling was gone, but sadly she had lost her eyesight in both eyes.
FC won’t be able to do all her chicken activities like before; running, foraging, chasing bugs, stealing treats from her friends, hopping up on roosts. She is very happy with being held though and enjoys walking around, albeit usually in circle patterns, but at least those circles are widening! Her curiosity has come back, and her tail is up, which is always a good sign! She started laying again two days ago, and is right on track, 2 for 2! She also just started eating grass again, right after her egg laying picked up. It is almost like laying eggs makes her feel like a chicken again. She suddenly had more life after that pivotal point. I wish she could be reunited with the flock, but Chelsea now views her as a weak link and tries to peck her, so FC will need a separate protected area to live in. I do want her near the others though so she can hear them and maybe chat with them again. Once this is set up I will surely post pics! She will have a special handicap coop, run, and of course nestbox.
I hope this post helps anyone who may have an injured chicken, a victim from a raccoon attack, or even a special needs hen. It is always a tough decision whether to put an animal down or not, especially one treated not like livestock but as a pet. I am glad I didn’t give up on her. FC is only 5 months old, and with some special accommodations I think she can live a long happy life.

@16 paws He's the white silkie on my shoulder in my avatar. We have no idea how old he is, he showed up on doorstep during a rainstorm and was in horrible shape and near death. We knew he was old then by his feet and spurs, we never expected even after rehabilitating him that he'd make it this far! This is him when we found him and now.

Hi Marie!

I can understand your intentions to ensure Chicken Little has a normal chicken life. With some additional attention and some special accommodations she can absolutely thrive.

It sounds like her sisters that she is living with, they accept her ok and do not pick on her? That was the first challenge I had to overcome with FC because immediately her sister and friends saw her as a weak link and pecked her. She would try to get away until she bumped into a corner to cower in :(

To overcome this situation, I got more chicks! They grew up around FC, and since she was not broody, she was not a fan of having little ones running around her feet! They learned while growing up that she was at the top of the pecking order. They are all full grown now. The chicks were Easter Eggers and turned out to be very mellow, and the two RIRs did begin to challenge FC when they got older, so I had to move them to the old lady pen for this misbehavior (and where they would get a pecking order re-alignment, ha!). FC is happily cohabitating with the Easter Eggers.

Oh Fire, who did you pluck?

Accommodations: The Easter Eggers and Fire (FC) share a coop that is very standard looking. It is an A frame house on stilts, with a draw bridge style ramp for entering. There are two roost bars inside and 2 nest boxes. The only special add-on is the tiny ramp added to connect the 'draw bridge' up to the lower level roost. This is to help Fire find her way all the way up at bedtime, while the other birds simply jump up on the roost. It is interesting, she knows when it is bedtime, and starts marching around doing a high step, stretching her neck up high and trying to find something elevated to climb up on! Once she bumps into the drawbridge she walks up. Currently, it is a challenge for her to get down in the morning, so I go out early to take her down.

In the chicken run I do have multiple food and waters set up so that she has more probability of finding them. To make it easier for her, I chose not to use traditional feed and water containers. Instead, I use multiple short buckets (frosting buckets, free at your local grocery store!) filled with water, and multiple planters filled halfway with dirt (for stability so they don't accidentally tip them over!) and pellet feed on top of that. This creates a greater surface area for her to blindly peck at to get the goods. I also try to keep the containers in the same spot. Rattling the food in the planter gets her to come over. When she hears the others eating, she perks up and follows the sound. On hot days, when I am worried about her drinking enough, I will guide her to the water a few times a day.

A few extra things I do for Fire: She is not an active forager like the others, although sometimes she will scratch the ground and blindly peck at it. As a result, her toe nails and her upper beak grow too long. I purchased toe nail clippers for small dogs on Amazon so that I can trim them back. I have another mildly special needs bird I rescued with scissor beak that needs the trimming too. The clippers come in handy!

Like all chickens, Fire loves her greens, but it can be challenging for her to enjoy the ones I provide in the run. To help her get her share, I will rip them into bite size pieces for her and put in her food dishes. Sometimes I will chop treats in a food processor, keep a container of them in the fridge, and give her portions from that.

I hope this helps! I wish you the best with Chicken Little. I think you will find she will be your best behaved chookie! I know my Fire is :)

If I can help in any other way let me know.

kisses4chickens, so sorry about your loss! I highly recommend the Go Team Tube Feeding post! I still wonder if I could have saved one of FC's eyes if I got her on the antibiotics sooner. Please don't forget to treat any wounds your hen has.

As of today, FC is doing great and is my best layer. She knows where her food and water are, but I have also trained her to come to her food and water bowl by tapping it if I put her outside in a new location. She is not integrated with the old ladies, but after getting a couple pullets she has established herself at the top of the pecking order and I hope to integrate them full-time in the near future. I am so glad she will not have to live a solo life and can have coop mates!

With my blind chick, I put some lower roosting bars in the coop for her. I had to help her find them and figure out where to roost for the first couple of days. I also had to help her get up and down the ramp to the nest boxes. Now she does it just fine by herself, and she will also fly down sometimes. She remembers where things are in the yard. Today she was running and I watched her jump over the water bowl. Somehow she knew right where it was and avoided it perfectly. They will adapt quite well when given the chance.

Thanks Fizzybelle, 16 paws.. and everyone..

I'm a little late in doing this, but pictures as promised... It is very difficult to get a good photo of her because she has the head twitch. All photos I've tried to take are usually blurry. These were taken two days ago. She is still very small. She has been doing a bit better at eating on her own, but I still have to feed her. I am worried about her lack of growth and trying to prepare myself for the worst, just in case... you never know and its not looking good for her. (I imagine not growing could be bad news for internal organs)

Aww I'm so glad for FC! It's amazing how resilient they can be with a lot of TLC.

My rescue roo and house chicken Chester is extremely old and blind in one eye. Thankfully he still has vision in one eye but he's too old and vulnerable to be with a flock. He mostly is happy staying in his tote sitting on his roost by the window. He prefers to have his heat lamp on all the time-- he's spoiled and thinks anything below 72 degrees even inside the house is cold and will crow his head off until I plug his lamp in-- I try to wean him off this in the summer as much as possible but he is like father time of the chicken world so I let him have his way. How much more time could he really have left on this earth? He prefers to be carried around otherwise and only tolerates short trips outside to forage. I noticed that outside he stays close and keeps his blind eye to me, and he gets upset if he loses me and I have to call for him until he sees me.

Hi, I dont know if your post was meant for me or not but I will answer anyway,lol

If it were me I would just see how she does. I had to remove Chicken Little from her Mama because she couldnt keep up with the rest of the clutch. I made a mama heat pad brooder for her and I rotated her other siblings in and out. A few days with Chicken Little and then back to mama, then I would take another two and put them in with her. I had to put her in the cave sometimes but other times she would put herself to bed. My reasoning behind this was I was hoping the other chicks would teach her things and she could hear them. My Chicken Little was attacked about a week old and that is how she lost her sight. She also looks up and around, kind of in circles. I didnt have the heart to cull her.
Just wait and see if your baby learns to drink and eat. Just keep showing her.
It takes a lot of time but its worth the effort.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Marie

Marie, thanks..

I will do that. Today I started working on plans for a small coop/cage for her to be outdoors. I'm also working on trying to find some companions for her- might take a while- I'm thinking about ordering some hatching eggs again- can she wait another 19 days or so? I wonder!

Took her outside today and she loved it... she bit off her first clover petal and was so excited she moon walked backwards about 20 yards, peeping all the way.. when I picked her up she quickly ate it and seemed so content.. I'm very happy about it. Hopefully she will do that again and again until she gets the hang of it. So, yeah, there's hope for her yet! Only worried she won't get some stones in her gizzard to process it- can you put chick grit in a chick's mouth for them? If so, how much should I give to her?

Anyway, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom