Keeping a Nature Journal

I used to keep a field journal when I was a college student, studying botany and zoological illustration. I got to go on all kinds of awesome university-funded field research assignments as the illustrator. But now it is my job and I don't have time for fun journals. :rolleyes:

I don't have scans of a full journal page, but these are some individual pics from my student journal.

Nature copy 2.jpg

Last edited:
I used to keep a field journal when I was a college student, studying botany and zoological illustration. I got to go on all kinds of awesome university0funded field research assignments as the illustrator. But now it is my job and I don't have time for fun journals. :rolleyes:

I don't have scans of a full journal page, but these are some individual pics from my student journal.

View attachment 3222982
Beautiful work!

I used to keep a field journal when I was a college student, studying botany and zoological illustration. I got to go on all kinds of awesome university-funded field research assignments as the illustrator. But now it is my job and I don't have time for fun journals. :rolleyes:

View attachment 3222982
Amazing. Suddenly I feel like I picked the wrong career. Thank you for sharing.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0018506X16303841
I found this fascinating abstract on the impact of the microbiome on avian behavior. While I couldn't read the full text, it got me thinking about how perhaps there may be differences in captive and wild bird populations as a result of varying microbiome sources and population density. I would love to go watch (and paint) a colony of wild conures and compare them to my own birds. Paying attention to wild birds has made me think much more about the contrast between them and their captive siblings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom