Keeping a Rooster From Crowing

I got really attached to one of my little guys, so we got an allotment. I only get to see him once a day, but I know he's well looked-after and has all he needs. Can you rent a bit of land where you are?

ETA: now, as soon as I know a chick is a male, he goes. I don't want to get too attached. My girls couldn't cope!

Last edited:
I would check with the neighbors to see how they feel about it. I have a bantum roo about 6-7 months old who crows. I have only ever heard him twice & my neighbors say they can't hear him at all. The 1st time I heard him was around 7am and I had the bathroom window open. He's about 60-75 ft from the back of the house where that window is & I barely heard him even with the open window. The other time I heard him I was standing next to the coop working on my other coop & he crowed about 5-6 times at about 11:30am. My hens are louder than he is!!! I have 2-3 other roos that are younger & I haven't heard even the oldest 1 crow yet. I've talked to all of my neighbors who could possibly be close enuf to hear them & none mind a bit. Several have actually said they would enjoy hearing my roos crow as they grew up with chickens & now miss them.

Our New Hampshire crows and is quite loud about it (huge set of lungs, I guess
lol.png
). Fortunately, we're allowed to have roosters where we are and we checked with and talked to the neighbors before getting him (and even after getting him). Getting your neighbors to agree to tolerate it may help you dodge the ordinance for awhile, but you only need one to get fed up and make a phone call that'll put you in a tough spot.

Supposedly, keeping them in some position where they cannot extend their necks properly to crow will work, but you can't keep a bird boxed up like the 24/7; it'd be cruel. So no, there's nothing you can do to make him hush, and any time of day/night is game for crowing. Ours is pretty predictable and usually does most of his noise making between 5AM and 10AM, but he also crowed at the full moon Saturday night and will crow and crow and crow and crow and crow and crow if he hears children playing.

If I were you, I'd start looking for a good home for him while you have the time/opportunity and before any authorities are in the position to force you. You'd keep the peace, he'd have a home, and if it was anywhere close, maybe you could still drop in for a visit now and again.
smile.png

Keeping him in a dog porter at night would probably help. My roosters start up at 4:00 a.m. and crow all day. Some breeds crow less than others. One of my roosters in a New Hampshire Red. He is the dominant rooster, but doesn't crow nearly as much and Chicken Hawk, my mini bantam that thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Keeping him seperate from the ladies at night should help to keep him from crowing so much in the morning. Find an Avian vet, there maybe something they can suggest.
smile.png

Keeping him in a dog porter at night would probably help. My roosters start up at 4:00 a.m. and crow all day. Some breeds crow less than others. One of my roosters in a New Hampshire Red. He is the dominant rooster, but doesn't crow nearly as much and Chicken Hawk, my mini bantam that thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Keeping him seperate from the ladies at night should help to keep him from crowing so much in the morning. Find an Avian vet, there maybe something they can suggest.
smile.png

When we got our rooster and had him in quarantine for two weeks to make sure he was in good shape, he actually crowed a LOT more and started a lot earlier in the morning than when he was finally integrated into the flock. It probably all comes down to the individuals, though and will be a game of trial and error if taken that far.

If your rooster is smart, you may be able to teach him not to crow by simply holding his beak and yelling no whenever he crows. It may seem like a stupid idea but you should try it befor you consitor culling him.

The only way that will work is if you're within half an arms reach of him 24/7; no joke.

Chookhead, where do you find these? I've only ever seen one advertised and they are 1/2 the country away, id like to SEEE it before i get one and cant find pics or anything.

Does he crow yet? I have seven roosters and only three of them crow. Two of my 8 week olds started crowing last week but I have a 4 month old that has never crowed. Maybe you just need MORE roosters lol.

Seriously though, if you can't keep a crowing rooster, make plans early to re-home any boys you might get. It's not fair to the rooster to put a neck brace on (can't even conjure up this image in my brain!), not fair to keep him in a crate or clip his vocal chords. If you can't have them, then don't. Mine crow randomly at all hours, including the middle of the night if they hear a noise.

Back
Top Bottom