Keeping a Rooster From Crowing

I also have the sweetest silkie cockerel who has become my lap chicken! I am not suppose to have cocks in town, but like you, have become very attached to him. I have a large dog cage set up just for him on my enclosed back porch. I take him in before bedtime and then let him out into the yard the next morning with his ladies! If you have any area where you can do something like this try it! He does crow a little during the day but it is better having him sing at 6 a.m. on my porch then in the coop!

We have neighbors not even 30 feet in each direction (except across the street, though.). The people to the right are elderly, so they won't like the roo crowing throughout the day. I should try that though... I wouldn't mind him sleeping in my room and crowing in my room at 6 a.m
love.gif

6am? hahaha try 4am and they crow allll stinkin day. noway to stop it. you'll be able to hear his crow through the windows i garentee you! your neighbors will still know theres a rooster in your house. only thing you can do it plain and simple. ask your neighbors what they would think if you allowed your rooster outside.

I was wondering this same thing because I have a Wyandotte that I LOVE, that is a roo and I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a vet possibly clipping the vocal cords on the roo? I am so attached to him and would hate to see him go!

I was wondering this same thing because I have a Wyandotte that I LOVE, that is a roo and I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a vet possibly clipping the vocal cords on the roo? I am so attached to him and would hate to see him go!

Clip his vocal chords??

Note to self: if ChickenWifey ever gets attached to me ..... RUN! :D

Last edited:
Clip his vocal chords??
Note to self: if ChickenWifey ever gets attached to me ..... RUN!
big_smile.png

As long as you dont start making crowing sounds, I think you would be ok!

I dont mean to offend, I just dont wanna lose my boy! We are looking for a place to move with some land that way I can keep him, but.... If we cant find anywhere, my boy has to have another home without me!

Quote:
As long as you dont start making crowing sounds, I think you would be ok!

I dont mean to offend, I just dont wanna lose my boy! We are looking for a place to move with some land that way I can keep him, but.... If we cant find anywhere, my boy has to have another home without me!
I can't tell you how much we love living in the country ... I hope you find a place .... I love the.no rules thing and the people out here .... so nice ... so neighborly .... it is awesome ...

there are like neck braces that prevent the bending of the neck not the stretching so as to prevent crowing btu allow the chicken to act normally

I can't tell you how much we love living in the country ... I hope you find a place .... I love the.no rules thing and the people out here .... so nice ... so neighborly .... it is awesome ...

I grew up in the country and we have been looking for almost a year for a place with at least 2 acres. The problem is that all the places we find would make my husband drive over an hour each way to work everyday. So, we just have to wait for the right place. I cant wait to be able to see the stars again!!!

wouldn't mind him crowing in your room at 6 am..... I don't think you've ever been up close to a crowing rooster. They are LOUD, trust me. I think the idea about talking with your neighbors is the best advice. If they are willing to try it I would insulate the coop to dampen the noise and keep him locked up until 8:00am each day. If you can keep the decibel level low enough at 4-8:00am and if he doesn't crow to often during the day it might just work. good luck

It broke my heart to have to sell my other 2 cockerels but I had 3 and we live in town. I was out front the other day and we have a very big backyard and neighbors not real close but still close enough. my coop is right out my back door and we also have a high fence and a fence sound barrier in front of the coop area. As I was talking to my neighbor all 3 of the boys started yelling and it was very loud. I asked my neighbor if it bothered her, and she said "well one crowing is a lot better then hearing all 3 of them. I can handle hearing one"...that is all it took. Even though we have no city ordinances with having chickens or roosters in town. I did not want to push my luck. I sold the other 2. Ask your neighbors how they feel, it helps knowing and making decisions whether you keep a rooster with your hens!

Back
Top Bottom