Keeping budgies with other birds

Johanna Lee

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
I've found quite a few articles on keeping Budgies with Quail and Cockatiels but never any on keeping them with Diamond doves or finches so I decided I'd figure out for myself how they did. Quite to my horror I found that female Budgies are most often very aggressive towards button quail and diamond doves. The females plucked the rumps of my doves bare until they bled and tore open the head of my silver button hen resulting in her death.

Message_1578691686584.jpg

I had to re-home 4 females before I found one who didn't act aggressively. However I have found that male budgies are usually quite friendly toward their smaller companions and besides the occasional gentle "move away" nibble they never harmed them. Female budgies must be kept under close supervision for several weeks and there must be ample space for the birds to avoid each other should the budgie be in a bad mood. Also make sure there are several feeders as female budgies don't like other birds near them while they eat. If you get a pair of budgies that don't hurt or stress any of your birds they may still need to be removed if you want the other birds to be able to nest since most budgies love to tear apart the nest for fun. They may also nibble at chicks out of curiosity resulting in injuries or death. Another thing is since budgies love millet but it's a staple in the diet of most finches you'll need a way to keep it away from the budgies. I have found that a simple solution is to tie it from the ceiling of the cage or aviary using a string. This way the finches can feed but it swings wildly if a budgie lands on it due to their weight and landing momentum. Keep in mind you may have a particularly ambitious budgie who hangs on until it stops swinging.

20200428_152939.jpg

20200428_153005.jpg

I hope this short article helps you in your adventures of keeping budgies with other birds. Good luck and may they all get along peacefully!

Attachments

• Message_1578691686584.jpg
    Message_1578691686584.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200428_152939.jpg
    20200428_152939.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200428_153005.jpg
    20200428_153005.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 6
I've found it highly variable but that 99% of males are docile.
Out of the 25-30 budgies I've kept we've had notably three which showed aggression to other birds; two hens and one cock.

The others coexisted with finches, cockatiels, two species of doves, and quail.

I made an aviary with parakeets and lovebirds. I have never had problems with them, especially the parakeets. I have never tried with my pigeons or doves but i have never seen them be aggressive. I have 3 lovebirds and like 5 parakeets.

I made an aviary with parakeets and lovebirds. I have never had problems with them, especially the parakeets. I have never tried with my pigeons or doves but i have never seen them be aggressive. I have 3 lovebirds and like 5 parakeets.
It's mostly females towards smaller birds. It also depends on the individual budgies temperament. Also budgies tend to get along with other calm natured parrot species or species from the same region like cockatiels

I have one budgie that is female that can’t even be kept with other budgies she’s so nasty she’s lovingly called b** bird and surprisingly enough she has a mate now that she hasn’t mamed or killed and they have four babies 🤷‍♀️ Idk what makes the more aggressive towards one bird over another. She broke off the bottom third of her beak and lost a toe in her last attack in the flight cage before I separated her to only her and her mate I had only had her in there an hour trying to see if she could get along with anybody at all so she wasn’t alone. This other female had landed next to this male. It was an offense she died for and it happened so fast. Now I know I can’t ever put her with my other birds. Now I had 4 pairs in that cage for 2 months without one problem from any of the others so idk why she is the exception.

I have one budgie that is female that can’t even be kept with other budgies she’s so nasty she’s lovingly called b** bird and surprisingly enough she has a mate now that she hasn’t mamed or killed and they have four babies 🤷‍♀️ Idk what makes the more aggressive towards one bird over another. She broke off the bottom third of her beak and lost a toe in her last attack in the flight cage before I separated her to only her and her mate I had only had her in there an hour trying to see if she could get along with anybody at all so she wasn’t alone. This other female had landed next to this male. It was an offense she died for and it happened so fast. Now I know I can’t ever put her with my other birds. Now I had 4 pairs in that cage for 2 months without one problem from any of the others so idk why she is the exception.
Sad to hear. Some birds simply have an overly aggressive personality. I've never had a bird that aggressive but I've heard of it happening to other people

I’m hoping having her alone with this mate keeps her happy and that I don’t have to put her to sleep which is what I had been told at one point may have to happen if she kept being so aggressive

I’m hoping having her alone with this mate keeps her happy and that I don’t have to put her to sleep which is what I had been told at one point may have to happen if she kept being so aggressive
As long as she has a mate and gets along with him she'll be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom