Keeping Chickens Free Range

No need for apologies AFAIC. I completely agree. Anything that wants to hurt my animals and doesn't take a warning to heart has forfeited any rights it had in my opinion.
I just saw a baby opossum running across the snow and under my shed this morning.
barnie.gif
It got away before I could get it, but I'll be watching for it and the rest of the family now. It was small enough I know there is at least a momma and maybe siblings around too.
rant.gif
Got rid of the dang skunk and now I get possums.
he.gif

ETA: The barn cats take care of the mice, rats and voles. But I think a possum is a bit much to ask of them.
gig.gif
Maybe not. My mom has a relatively small cat, and she often brings in young possums that she's hunted.

I absolutely love him. He still won't let me get too close to him, but he's slowly coming around. He used to run if he ever saw me looking at him, but now he waits patiently for his food, even though he stays a good 10-15 feet away at all times. He seems to be healthy, just very wary of humans. Poor guy.
I had one, big gentle soul. Great breed.

Last edited:
I use my dogs a lot to keep predators away. They do not chase the chickens ever, however once in a while I will catch them doing some high speed following or running a tad fast through them just to see them fly. These things happen when I am with them otherwise they ignore them..

I do have a problem with one of my dogs though. How do I keep the dog from eating the chicken feed, scratch and frozen poopsicles?

I use my dogs a lot to keep predators away. They do not chase the chickens ever, however once in a while I will catch them doing some high speed following or running a tad fast through them just to see them fly. These things happen when I am with them otherwise they ignore them..

I do have a problem with one of my dogs though. How do I keep the dog from eating the chicken feed, scratch and frozen poopsicles?

Good luck with that one!
lau.gif
and if you find a solution let us know!

I gave up on arguing with mine about that a long while back.
lau.gif
And you should see how they go after any FF I accidentally drop while scooping up servings! They hover around while I dish it up and drips are instantly demolished. They love the stuff!
ep.gif

I used to let my dogs into the birds range area after the birds were put up for the night. They would mark territory and I figured they helped keep predators away by doing so. But, they also were very interested in eating what the chickens left behind. So, that had to end. Dogs do that but I don't have to be their enabler.

Back
Top Bottom