Keeping Chickens Free Range

Great thread!
Does anyone free range their ducks, turkeys and chickens together or keep them separate? I will Free range in a couple acres that are fenced, open and forest and tall grass.
Our Guinea hens free range all 41 acres and we have lost 1/2 the flock in six months.
I have separate coops for different breeds if I let them out will they go back to their respective coops at night?
When I want to breed chickens to their respective roosters how long do I separate them before I can be assured they eggs will be pure?
My turkeys are in with my goats and the ducks are in their own pen since they are so messy.
We have 3 dogs that "play" with fowl so I can't let hem on all 41 acres.

I free range my chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats and a goose all together. All sleep in the barn together except some bantam that I keep in separate coops. They return to their separate houses at night. If you want pure eggs keep them apart for 3 weeks. I do 4 weeks for good measure.

Great thread!
Does anyone free range their ducks, turkeys and chickens together or keep them separate? I will Free range in a couple acres that are fenced, open and forest and tall grass.
Our Guinea hens free range all 41 acres and we have lost 1/2 the flock in six months.
I have separate coops for different breeds if I let them out will they go back to their respective coops at night?
When I want to breed chickens to their respective roosters how long do I separate them before I can be assured they eggs will be pure?
My turkeys are in with my goats and the ducks are in their own pen since they are so messy.
We have 3 dogs that "play" with fowl so I can't let hem on all 41 acres.

Here are some of my birds free ranging together
smile.png

Janis, I've heard that 2 weeks is sufficient to ensure that your chicks will have the right roo parent. And 2 days of breeding by the right roo should have you good to go.

Last edited:
My animals free range over 3 acres. There are 2 creeks with several swimming holes. They stir up the dirt in there when they swim, but with that much room theres still grass so the ground isn't muddy. They only sleep in the barn. I don't have food or water in there so they don't have anything to make a mess with.

I let my 12 week old birds out from their covered run for first time. Within 15 - 20 minutes two Hawks were sizing them up for the kill in a nearby tree. Now I am hesitant to do it again unless I can watch them every minute. Would love for them to free range, any advice?
You only have 3 choices when it comes to hawks:
1: Do not free range, keep them in a covered area.
2: Free range, knowing you may (or will) lose some birds.
3: "Get rid of" the Hawks.....

Great thread!
Does anyone free range their ducks, turkeys and chickens together or keep them separate? Alot of people free range all sorts together.
I will Free range in a couple acres that are fenced, open and forest and tall grass.
Our Guinea hens free range all 41 acres and we have lost 1/2 the flock in six months. Which proves you have active bird predators, this past or current activity is going to bring that predation to anything else you free range.
Maybe, they should...but they don't always. Sometimes the seperate "flocks" won't even mix, but hang out in their own "territories". It depends on how much area, how far apart they are..and of course on the individual birds themselves. We have a couple of hens that given a choice will go back to a different Coop than the one they have been in for many months now.
When I want to breed chickens to their respective roosters how long do I separate them before I can be assured they eggs will be pure? The method I have heard used by breeders that I prefer is more to switching roosters; Separate for 2 weeks, then add new Rooster and begin collecting eggs 1 week later.
We have 3 dogs that "play" with fowl so I can't let hem on all 41 acres. Would this be the cause of 1/2 your Guineas missing?

I have read quite a bit of the "old" chicken keeping books. Years ago it was common to keep flocks separated in "Colony Housing" on pasture. As long as you have enough distance between houses, the flocks will stay separated. ON your 2 acres though???
One thing to consider when allowing flocks that are not normally kept together to interact on small acreage is cock fights...they more than likely will happen! When we let our pure breeds out to range, we have to keep an eye that one cock bird does not wander into another territory.

Last edited:
I free range my chickens. I don't live on property, jut a big backyard with a lot of cover. My chickens will peck and eat at bugs and such, but they always tend to eat their layer feed. I do have hawks which scares me, but honestly my chickens hate being in their run. They will squawk and throw a fit and I don't want the neighbors to get mad. During the day my chickens tend to just hang out in their favorite places out of view. They always go back to their coop to lay, I havn't had a problem yet with them laying in places. At night they just go right to bed and I lock them up. When I see hawks out I do put them in their run for a couple of hours, but for the most part they stay under cover.

I let my 12 week old birds out from their covered run for first time. Within 15 - 20 minutes two Hawks were sizing them up for the kill in a nearby tree. Now I am hesitant to do it again unless I can watch them every minute. Would love for them to free range, any advice?
My chickens tend to hang out under bushes, trees, vehicles and the like. We have many hawks in our area as well. I keep my dogs outside to keep an eye out for hawks. I also check on everyone occasionally to make sure all is well. I will often walk out to see hawks circling around, but generally my chickens aren't just out in the open. The hawks fly away when they see me.

Since they are only 12 weeks old, I would let them out to free range while you are there to supervise until they have found the safe spots in your yard. Once they know the makeup of their area in a week or two, they should be fine out.

Just being realistic that you may lose one no matter what you do is a good idea too.

Back
Top Bottom