Keeping Chickens Free Range

Golf balls in the nesting boxes works for us. Although I recently bought some laying hens who had never been free range and for the first month I had them they laid their eggs all over the yard. Egg Hunt. They are getting better now.

Golf balls in the nesting boxes works for us. Although I recently bought some laying hens who had never been free range and for the first month I had them they laid their eggs all over the yard. Egg Hunt. They are getting better now.
Haha! Same happened to me! I couldnt find any of their eggs until one day i saw one on the floor next to the coop (at least it was close)! But they are much better now!

Thanks for the replies. 30 weeks. Argh, that is November!
Guess I'll wait for the egg song and then put fake eggs in the boxes. They are out of the way, in the places the girls hide themselves already. It is kind of amazing that I often can't see them until I get close. The only time we mess that area is January/Feb when we pick the oranges, which is why I'm setting up 3 nest boxes in different areas.

Thanks for the replies. 30 weeks. Argh, that is November!
Guess I'll wait for the egg song and then put fake eggs in the boxes. They are out of the way, in the places the girls hide themselves already. It is kind of amazing that I often can't see them until I get close. The only time we mess that area is January/Feb when we pick the oranges, which is why I'm setting up 3 nest boxes in different areas.
The first time that you hear the egg song is the best time! I can still remember when my one girl did it for her and my first time! One feels so proud when they sing it!

Last edited:
I have a newbie question about introducing layer feed - when do I offer it?
My Brahma and EE are 21 weeks now and getting some red face but not at POL. I also have an Austrlorp and Black Star that are 16 weeks. I currently have grower crumbles in a trench feeder (always available) and a grower grain mix I offer for meals.
I have a bag of layer crumbles that I haven't put out yet. Since the biggies are always chasing off the littles from the food, I'm pretty sure I can make sure only the 21 week olds get the layer crumbles. I have been reading that hatchery hens get egg problems more than breeder hens, so I am kind of freaking out about that. All mine are hatchery chicks.
So, can I start the biggies now? Can I free offer or should I just let the biggies have some?
Thanks

I have a newbie question about introducing layer feed - when do I offer it?
My Brahma and EE are 21 weeks now and getting some red face but not at POL. I also have an Austrlorp and Black Star that are 16 weeks. I currently have grower crumbles in a trench feeder (always available) and a grower grain mix I offer for meals.
I have a bag of layer crumbles that I haven't put out yet. Since the biggies are always chasing off the littles from the food, I'm pretty sure I can make sure only the 21 week olds get the layer crumbles. I have been reading that hatchery hens get egg problems more than breeder hens, so I am kind of freaking out about that. All mine are hatchery chicks.
So, can I start the biggies now? Can I free offer or should I just let the biggies have some?
Thanks
I started all of mine on layer feed at 16 weeks. That's what the recommendation on the bag was. I had one lay around that time and the rest took a couple of weeks. I have found about 4-5 shell-less eggs total and I have 10 layers. They are all hatchery chicks as well and are about 27 weeks old. The first laid at 15 weeks. I do throw some oyster shell to them occasionally as well. They seem to really love that!

Personally, I'd use up what they are currently eating and put them all on the layer to get them prepared.

Thanks! The grower crumble is almost gone, so I'll switch that feeder to layer crumble. I didn't think they liked the crumble at first, but it gets eaten with less waste than the organic grain stuff. I'll get them some oyster shell, too. Thanks again!

Thanks! The grower crumble is almost gone, so I'll switch that feeder to layer crumble. I didn't think they liked the crumble at first, but it gets eaten with less waste than the organic grain stuff. I'll get them some oyster shell, too. Thanks again!
You are very welcome! Don't worry about your chicks. If you feed them properly and give them all the nutrients they need, they will most likely be just fine no matter where they came from.

I think that sometimes people complain about problems they have more than saying how great of an experience that they have. Often times our problems are a result of our own mistakes. I raise layers that came from a hatchery as well as Cornish X that come from a hatchery. If you do it right, you will have a great experience! If you do it wrong, problems arise. I'm not saying that problems can't arise even if you are doing it right, but they are more apt to happen when you do it wrong.

Thank you for the encouragement! I want to do everything right and there is so much good info at BYC, including what all CAN go wrong. My girls get plenty of exercise and food variety and I get plenty of hand holding here for when to goto next food step. Calcium too young or for Roos was holding me up. So, thanks again!

Do you have roos? I had kept food separate for my roos but they would still sneak and eat the layers food. I'm not sure how to stop them. I rehomed my roos to a farm in the family because I just didn't have the right ones for my flock. Maybe someday I will try again. BYC is the best! I come here daily whether I need to or not! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom