Keeping Chickens Free Range

If you cannot bear the idea of a chicken dying or being killed, it is best you never free range. There are some losses.

I try to limit my losses by locking them up every night and not letting them out until it has been light for a couple hours.

I want my chickens to live the life I would like, as a chicken. I know I would be safest never leaving my house, never driving, never seeing other people. Life would stink, but would be safe.

The chickens in my idea are the same. I could keep them locked in a closed fence and coop, and they would live to the ripe old age of 3-4. OR I can let them out. Keep them as safe as possible and allow them to live a good life. That is why I free range. I would rather live a good life than a long life.

Wow, I sound like a philosopher!
Chickens penned 100% of the time also die and can face injuries. Free ranging gives best quality if lufe, imo.

I would imagine, like children at school, disease
hide.gif
would be MUCH more likely with penned chickens.

To each his own. i was down the Rd cutting, hauling wood for winter today. Broke My heart I couldn't bring one of the girls with me, so much foraging available.
Saw something mentioned of Free Range hens lasting only 3-4 yrs. Would explain why one of my PRs have slowed to 3-4 eggs a week, if that!! At that age, is it worth it to butcher? Free range and age would the meat be tough? Have 2 Lil men, bantam Roos that are drawing away the girls. One still hangs out with older gent, 2 yrs. but if it's time I grow some kahoonahs…(sp?)

Ok, THANKS! I thought, if ANYTHING, boil til bones fall off, mix with dry Dog food. Yeah, my dogs get lil bit of wet, mixed with dry…..would cut my 'spoiled pets' cost. If I can throw 2gether tatters, carrots, onions, celery, let boil…Add biscuits. GADS, I just ATE & am getting hungry again!
The Bantam Lil Men aren't growing very much in 6-8mo I've had them. Are there such a thing as Minis? have the 2-3 yr old Bantam to compare, isn't much TO COMPARE! Was given the Lil men so who the heck knows…..
Will search on this site, when can….BUSY time of year….
YOU FOLKS ARE GREAT!!
clap.gif
ya.gif

Last edited:

All right, this is a better photo of those who rob, or try to, rob me of my chicken's food. I hadn't even walked back from dumping Scratch
off the front porch, could hear them running over, hopeful my dog was contained? The biggest Tom can see into the bed of my pickup, w/the
tailgate down….I GOTTA get a digital camera for holiday…..Ugh. I can hear them at the back side of the house now….GGGrrrrrr.

I have been free ranging for about 4months now and two days ago my rooster vanished
1f622.png
so now I'm so scared to let my hens out! I feel like free ranging is better for them but I don't want them picked off one by one.

I have worked up to letting mine out at about 2 in the afternoon. That gives them about 5 hours of freedom. I do plan to eventually work up to all day. But since only 4 are laying (and doing good with going back to the nest box for that) I decided to wait for the other 5 to begin laying before I let them out for the whole day. Way too many hiding places for me to find hidden eggs. I wonder if I amuse the chickies as much as they amuse me. Yesterday was the first day that I didn't go outside at least 6 times and count them to be sure they were all there. I only counted them 5 times...lol.

I have one bantam black Phoenix.....I am guessing that she won't lay eggs very often. The seller flimflammed me on that one. But she is cute and they all seem to get along well so she is a keeper, too. She loves getting out of the pen as much as the "big" girls now that she is used to her new home. I cant wait for all of them to start laying so they can stay out all day. They were napping yesterday in the brush under some trees. So far none of the girls have turned into guys.....that's amazing. Sorry to get off topic.

I have been letting the girls out more and more even tho the plan was to wait on the pullets to start laying. I did see one of them checking out a nest yesterday. The four hens were going back to the coop at first......now only the EE is laying in the coop. I did find the new hidden nest with six eggs in it and I have decided to let them keep using it......I am just going to gradually raise it so that it is easier on me.

Last nite the little black pullet (Sumatra maybe instead of Phoenix, who knows?)) did not show up to roost in the coop but she was here this morning, Yahoo!

Had some pretty serious winds the other night. Some of the girls, rather than just the bigger, usual Roo, were on the back porch. Suddenly heard a squack. Dogs didn't go nuts as would if something was lurking. I think the wind blew her off her roost!
lau.gif
LOL Poor girl.
How is everyone else doing with Cool weather setting in? Feeding mine more so to keep them warm. Cooler weather means more food…
tongue.png
Btwn the Dogs and chickens NOT problem getting rid of 'old' hard boiled eggs!
D.gif

We have been getting the coop ready for winter, all my ladies and the roo love being out during the day. This will be my first winter with my flock, last year they were peeps and we kept them inside. Thus year i plan on keeping them on the same daily schedule unless it's bitterly cold. I'm still learning and always looking for advice :) but I do agree. Even tho mine are free range during the day, they are eating the there feed r s daily to prepare for winter the little chubs, lol. But online them all ♡

Back
Top Bottom