Keeping Chickens Free Range

You never know, but I'm pretty laxed about it all, at least I think I am... But I've lost quite a few none the less
idunno.gif

Thanks for the ova, hon. I've only lost to my own dog and pretty open up here too. Have heard them making a ruckus under the front porch....Just a theory.
caf.gif

My newest members of my flock were out from under mom the past couple of days and really enjoying the great outdoors. Mom and pop are silkies but only one is theirs the others are adopted and they are the best parents.

Hi all! I have three hens that are almost a year old and have been kept in a fairly decent sized run for that time. I am considering transitioning them to free range. We've got a pasture that's maybe about 1/2 acre (fenced, though it may be a bit weak in some areas) that I had intended to put them in. My concern though, is that my neighbor has a garden to which he is particularly attached. Provided they never stumble upon it by accident and realize that it is there, if I were to toughen up the fencing would the girls be likely to try to get out of it or would they be content to roam their pasture and leave it be? The neighbor's garden is all the way at the front and a bit off to the side, and I had planned to put the coop more towards the back side of the pasture. I've never had much interaction with that neighbor and I certainly don't want my chickens getting into his beloved garden to be the way in which we officially meet!!
So I guess the gist of my question here is: Provided with plenty of space, how likely are my girls to be of respecting the fence?

Hi all! I have three hens that are almost a year old and have been kept in a fairly decent sized run for that time. I am considering transitioning them to free range. We've got a pasture that's maybe about 1/2 acre (fenced, though it may be a bit weak in some areas) that I had intended to put them in. My concern though, is that my neighbor has a garden to which he is particularly attached. Provided they never stumble upon it by accident and realize that it is there, if I were to toughen up the fencing would the girls be likely to try to get out of it or would they be content to roam their pasture and leave it be? The neighbor's garden is all the way at the front and a bit off to the side, and I had planned to put the coop more towards the back side of the pasture. I've never had much interaction with that neighbor and I certainly don't want my chickens getting into his beloved garden to be the way in which we officially meet!!
So I guess the gist of my question here is: Provided with plenty of space, how likely are my girls to be of respecting the fence?

The chances of keeping your chickens on your half acre is roughly 3,456,213.34 to 1 against it. Chickens are uniquely designed to go over, under and through fences.

My girls cover about 3 acres....

The chances of keeping them out of a tomato, bean, lettuce, strawberry rich area is even less....

Sorry... I think you may have to just free range when you can watch them or talk to your neighbor and explain the benefits of the chickens eating the bugs in his garden. I actually do not mind my birds in the garden because of the bugs they eat, However I do cover the tomatoes. They really do not do too much damage to the rest, besides what's a few chicken teeth marks in veggies?

Last edited:
Ralph is right. I had to trim my girls wings to keep them on my side of the fence, and we have acres they could wander without going over. I would suggest you go meet your neighbors and at least attempt to develop a relationship with them before you turn the girls loose. :)

Hi all!  I have three hens that are almost a year old and have been kept in a fairly decent sized run for that time.  I am considering transitioning them to free range.  We've got a pasture that's maybe about 1/2 acre (fenced, though it may be a bit weak in some areas) that I had intended to put them in.  My concern though, is that my neighbor has a garden to which he is particularly attached.  Provided they never stumble upon it by accident and realize that it is there, if I were to toughen up the fencing would the girls be likely to try to get out of it or would they be content to roam their pasture and leave it be?  The neighbor's garden is all the way at the front and a bit off to the side, and I had planned to put the coop more towards the back side of the pasture.  I've never had much interaction with that neighbor and I certainly don't want my chickens getting into his beloved garden to be the way in which we officially meet!!

I can't speak for other chichens but I keep mine on a little 1/2 acre with a privacy fence around my yard. I have one area where two pieces of the fence fell down with some bad weather and I just put up a piece of 4ft high fencing to close the space off and I have not had an issue with one chicken escaping.
My garden has a 4 ft wire fence around it and last year I never had a problem with them getting in it. Mine are so busy around the rest of the yard. It all depends on your chickens you can always let them out on a day you can watch them and see what they do. I hope it works for you cause they are so happy when they free range.

Thanks so much for all your replies! I'm so glad I asked! I guess free ranging the girls is probably not the right option in this particular case. Now I'll be looking closer into Plan B: chicken tunnels!

Thanks so much for all your replies! I'm so glad I asked! I guess free ranging the girls is probably not the right option in this particular case. Now I'll be looking closer into Plan B: chicken tunnels!

I did not mean to discourage you Free Ranging is so great. I just wanted you to know what could happen. I would do it on a limited basis as you can watch them...

Back
Top Bottom