Keeping Chickens Free Range

Quote: heheh. I love your discussion of your Newfie's function and I'm glad to know he's still on the planet. I wasn't sure from your description (I'm under pressure for work deadline so I'm sure it's my harried reading that led to this confusion).

I'm in hot South so I'm just extremely reluctant to take on a long-haired outdoor dog. I too am searching for the right solution.

See I disagree somewhat. Yes another predator might take over the territory, but less predators overall, decreases the stress in the remaining animals. A predator is less likely to risk human habitation if there is plenty of food where he is (now if he knows there are easy meals to be had on your property, he will go ahead and take that risk) but assuming you take appropriate steps to secure your birds, a predator with plenty of rabbits, squirrels, and quail, will not risk it.
This is of course a general observation, and it does require work to keep the population maintained.
You're right, of course. But we do have to remember that nature needs predators and we're part of nature so we have to strike a good balance. Sounds like that's what you're talking about.

You're right, of course.  But we do have to remember that nature needs predators and we're part of nature so we have to strike a good balance.  Sounds like that's what you're talking about.  
am ecosystem in nature does benefit from having predators. We don't live in a system where that it's true. I do not need foxes or anything else to cull my weak or sick birds from the flock though. I handle that myself. I do not need predators to thin out other flocks to ensure my birds have enough access to food. I am sorry to be the one to tell you but i perform all the roles nature normally uses predators for so i won't tolerate nature trying to clumsily help.

Quote: Yes, but my point is that humans are capable of wiping out entire populations and entire species of predators in our zeal to protect our livelihoods, thinking we can wipe out predators once and for all, and that isn't in our own best interest. You are embedded in a surrounding ecosystem that still needs predators.

I guess you didn't see the part of my original post in which I said that we had just killed a large rat snake that was aiming to invade our barn. I count ourselves very fortunate that we discovered the snake before it got there.

Yes, but my point is that humans are capable of wiping out entire populations and entire species of predators in our zeal to protect our livelihoods, thinking we can wipe out predators once and for all, and that isn't in our own best interest. You are embedded in a surrounding ecosystem that still needs predators.

I guess you didn't see the part of my original post in which I said that we had just killed a large rat snake that was aiming to invade our barn. I count ourselves very fortunate that we discovered the snake before it got there.

In order for that to be the case the entire population of foxes would have to come to my home and try to kill my hens. I don't go out hunting them. If they are duo stupid or desperate t hat every one come here i will certainly kill every one rather than let them take even one of sweet birds.

Thanks for the reply! I thought about that, but can't figure out a way to make chain link fence higher without spending so much money. How high should it be?

I use bird netting to cover my run. That protects them from aerial predators and stops even my flyers from getting out when I want/need them to stay in. You can get a 7ft by 100ft roll for about $15. You could staple the netting to wooden garden stakes and attach the stakes to the existing fencing to give you the height you're looking for with minimal cost.

Quote: Yes! I posted about using poles and laundry line successfully for chickens, but I also use poles and bird netting in just this manner to keep the chickens OUT of my garden area, for example. So this would totally work to keep chickens IN their yard. Very miniimal cost and really effective. I use nylon zipties or even clothespins to anchor the netting to the fence between the poles (and keeping the bird netting more taught can help prevent unintended songbird deaths because if the netting is loose songbirds can get tangled in it accidentally-- ask my why I know this). Oh, and, you can use a combination of laundry line strung along the top of the poles with the bird netting hung over the line, which helps support the netting better.

I use cattle panels as fencing because they are so flexible and easy to change configurations with. So I've developed several methods of extending the height of the panels cheaply.

You're right, of course.  But we do have to remember that nature needs predators and we're part of nature so we have to strike a good balance.  Sounds like that's what you're talking about.  
am ecosystem in nature does benefit from having predators. We don't live in a system where that it's true. I do not need foxes or anything else to cull my weak or sick birds from the flock though. I handle that myself. I do not need predators to thin out other flocks to ensure my birds have enough access to food. I am sorry to be the one to tell you but i perform all the roles nature normally uses predators for so i won't tolerate nature trying to clumsily help.

I disagree we need predators, there is more then just your flock that need managing. Rabbits without predators quickly become a nuisance. We do however need to keep the predator population down (humans took away coyotes, racoon's, and foxes population control when we eliminated the bears, wolves, and many large cats). Nature is not clumsy, it is very elegant in its precision. Humans tend to go over board and make a mess of things. I live very close to nature and have a decent respect for it.
Now yes, if a fox (racoon's is more likely here) comes into my territory, I will shoot it without hesitation. We have rabies in the area, so we take a zero tolerance approach to any nocturnal animal out during the day, whether in our yard or surrounding area. But there is a place for raccoons, foxes, and coyotes.

I disagree we need predators, there is more then just your flock that need managing. Rabbits without predators quickly become a nuisance. We do however need to keep the predator population down (humans took away coyotes, racoon's, and foxes population control when we eliminated the bears, wolves, and many large cats). Nature is not clumsy, it is very elegant in its precision. Humans tend to go over board and make a mess of things. I live very close to nature and have a decent respect for it.
Now yes, if a fox (racoon's is more likely here) comes into my territory, I will shoot it without hesitation. We have rabies in the area, so we take a zero tolerance approach to any nocturnal animal out during the day, whether in our yard or surrounding area. But there is a place for raccoons, foxes, and coyotes.
rabbits are good eating. I can't say i NEED help controlling a rabbit population and if i did there are better ways to do it than with having wild killers living near me.

Yes! I posted about using poles and laundry line successfully for chickens, but I also use poles and bird netting in just this manner to keep the chickens OUT of my garden area, for example. So this would totally work to keep chickens IN their yard. Very miniimal cost and really effective. I use nylon zipties or even clothespins to anchor the netting to the fence between the poles (and keeping the bird netting more taught can help prevent unintended songbird deaths because if the netting is loose songbirds can get tangled in it accidentally-- ask my why I know this). Oh, and, you can use a combination of laundry line strung along the top of the poles with the bird netting hung over the line, which helps support the netting better.

I use cattle panels as fencing because they are so flexible and easy to change configurations with. So I've developed several methods of extending the height of the panels cheaply.

I use zipties for everything! Especially when I need a fast, non-permanent solution to things involving my flock. I recently picked up a few hens from another BYC member and she has endless uses for cattle panels; hoop coops, greenhouse, garden fencing, etc. It got me wanting to construct things just so I can use them lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom