Keeping chickens safe with another animal

EggLayingChicks

Hatching
Apr 17, 2023
I live in the country on 5.5 acres and half is wooded with a pond. I keep my chickens in our barn which is in-between the woods and the pond. I've had a previous run in with a mink. We caught it and got rid of it. Besides a rooster and a guard dog, is there any other animals that would help in keeping my flock safe from all sorts of predators?

They also free range and I love in northeast ohio for reference.

Thanks !

When we kept our chickens in a barn stall, having a pony in the barn made all the diffference. They free-ranged all day and still got taken, but not off their roosts.

When we kept our chickens in a barn stall, having a pony in the barn made all the diffference. They free-ranged all day and still got taken, but not off their roosts.
I would love to have a horse/pony but we won't get one. Thanks though! I'll have to keep searching. I get it that we will lose some free ranging every once in a while.

I've never lost a bird sleeping in a tree. The raccoons and possums try occasionally but no fatalities. Coops seem like the perfect feeding place for predators

I've never lost a bird sleeping in a tree. The raccoons and possums try occasionally but no fatalities. Coops seem like the perfect feeding place for predators

A coop where a predator can get in but cannot easily get out, or where a predator can get in but the birds can't get away so they all panic and crash about will invite a killing-spree.

But here, letting them sleep outside in a tree will result in one being taken every night by an owl or a grey fox, to go along with the one that got taken by a coyote or a hawk during the day.

I think our plastic Snap-Lock henhouses are probably proof against nearly anything but a bear, and I'd notice if there was a bear in the yard. Not that I'd do anything about that but shout personal remarks at a bear from the doorway.

Back
Top Bottom