Keeping cold intolerant breeds in cold climates

DavidILoveYou22

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 22, 2012
Eldorado County, Northern CA
Hello. Someone please help me with this question, I am desperate! I have absolutely fallen in love with Malays, whom I just learned are a cold intolerant breed! Which, where I live, is no problem... during the summer. But during the winter, it gets down to 15 degrees! Is there any way I could modify my coop and run to make it possible to own these birds? Or maybe I could put little chicken coats on them? I know it sounds silly but I really want some of these birds!

With cold intolerant breeds, what you mostly have to watch for is frostbite. The Mediterranean and Middle Eastern breeds tend to have large combs, which help them dissipate heat in the summer but are a liability in the winter. As long as they have a place to get out of the wind, they'll be fine.

Also, did you mean 15 degrees below zero, or 15 above (F)? 15 degrees above zero isn't cold for a chicken, no matter what their breeding. Remember, they are wearing down parkas 24/7. If you meant 15 above--that sounds almost like a balmy winter--are you down South? As long as you can manage for frostbite, even large-combed breeds will be OK down around 20 below zero with no supplementary heat. They may stop laying, but they won't freeze to death.

I keep white Leghorns with combs so big they drop over the hens' eyes and they did fine in an unheated (but insulated) coop at 15 below zero last winter.

OK, thank you! I meant 15 above zero, but that is outside in the early morning. I keep a heat lamp in the coop in the winter, which keeps it closer to thirty (above). Thank you all so much! I really want these birds... Now I just have to find someone who breeds them to get some fertile eggs...

Back
Top Bottom