keeping coyotes away from property

Electric fencing works well on coyote if you didn't already train them to jump a normal fence. Animals are curious and literally nose around- it only takes one shock to train them to stay away. If you've used normal fencing and coyote are used to simply jumping it they will easily avoid the electric with one jump. They've no reason to investigate it.

Occasionally we see the coyotes in daytime but typically they are hunting at night. They roam a large territory and will be around your pens only a few nights a month. If they don't get a chicken meal will not come back for another month. They wake me up to their shrill kill calls and I like to follow their tracks in the snow when they are about to see what they are eating. Mainly it's field mice. Huge side jump and dig marks in snow. They could easily jump our winter 6 ft kennel fence but don't. Birds are safe in coop so they've really never tried. Tracks up to fence every time but no scaling.

Electric fencing works well on coyote if you didn't already train them to jump a normal fence. Animals are curious and literally nose around- it only takes one shock to train them to stay away. If you've used normal fencing and coyote are used to simply jumping it they will easily avoid the electric with one jump. They've no reason to investigate it.

Occasionally we see the coyotes in daytime but typically they are hunting at night. They roam a large territory and will be around your pens only a few nights a month. If they don't get a chicken meal will not come back for another month. They wake me up to their shrill kill calls and I like to follow their tracks in the snow when they are about to see what they are eating. Mainly it's field mice. Huge side jump and dig marks in snow. They could easily jump our winter 6 ft kennel fence but don't. Birds are safe in coop so they've really never tried. Tracks up to fence every time but no scaling.

I can back up the 6 ft fence statement. Where I used to live, a few hours south of here I saw on multiple occasions coyotes (and cougars, but no surprise there) jumping 6 foot block walls with ease. Electric fencing is a great plan.

I live on 15 acres with electric fence. My moms place is 50 acres all electric fence. It keeps the cattle in but it does not keep the coyotes out. They are here every night. My little brother shoots them any time he wants. He collects a bounty on them.

I live on 15 acres with electric fence. My moms place is 50 acres all electric fence. It keeps the cattle in but it does not keep the coyotes out. They are here every night. My little brother shoots them any time he wants. He collects a bounty on them.

High tensile? You're right, I watch coyotes going under high tensile electric fencing all the time on big ranches around here too, I should have specified electric netting. I've had great success with the electric net style fencing.

But has anyone ever used the product of wolf urine??

Haven't used it, and I'm not sure if it would work seeing as how a coyote might not recognize the scene if there are not wolves in your area. That being said, there could be a generic pheromone that animals pick up on when it comes to marking things. My dogs mark the perimeter of our land repeatedly all the time, which brings me to my next point. Long term effectiveness of the wolf urine probably isn't good. I'm sure rain washes it away along with UV exposure lessening its effectiveness, that could get pricey.

Back
Top Bottom