Keeping geese together with layer hens?

Kwoka

Songster
Sep 21, 2022
Poland
I have 6 French Landes geese that I’m keeping until winter (bound for the Christmas dinner table 😭) and so far they have been raised up in the same large shed/coop with lots of cockerels (25 at one point). No problems, everyone got along. We finished butchering all those boys, and I’d like to move some layer hens into that big coop with them, but I’m worried that they will bother the hens while they’re sitting in the nests, steal eggs, etc. because they’re very curious and bold.I don’t want to send my girls over there to be harassed and stressed out, but the layer coop is getting crowded. Does anyone have experience keeping geese with layer hens?

Adding that during the day everyone gets to free range or they’re in a very large fenced run, so there’s plenty of space. I’ll only be moving 5 hens and a rooster.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
✋ I have this question too. We don't have geese yet, but considering getting some and not sure what to do with them come winter (Wisconsin). Thus far, a few told me they do not go in the coop with the chickens, but just make them a simple shelter from the elements. So I envision a giant wooden box on its side with no door. If yours are already used to going in the coop, maybe make the chicken door smaller so they can't fit or fence it off from them?

✋ I have this question too. We don't have geese yet, but considering getting some and not sure what to do with them come winter (Wisconsin). Thus far, a few told me they do not go in the coop with the chickens, but just make them a simple shelter from the elements. So I envision a giant wooden box on its side with no door. If yours are already used to going in the coop, maybe make the chicken door smaller so they can't fit or fence it off from them?
It’s not a traditional raised coop with a chicken door, it’s a large wooden shed/mini-barn type structure with a concrete floor (with bedding of course) and human-sized door (originally built to house ponies). The geese go in at night and sleep on the floor, while the chickens sleep on roosts in the back. I could try to fence off a small area with chicken wire and a chicken-sized opening for the nest boxes, but that would make collecting eggs kind of a hassle… 🤔 and maybe the geese will just leave them alone anyway, idk

It’s not a traditional raised coop with a chicken door, it’s a large wooden shed/mini-barn type structure with a concrete floor (with bedding of course) and human-sized door (originally built to house ponies). The geese go in at night and sleep on the floor, while the chickens sleep on roosts in the back. I could try to fence off a small area with chicken wire and a chicken-sized opening for the nest boxes, but that would make collecting eggs kind of a hassle… 🤔 and maybe the geese will just leave them alone anyway, idk
I would Try it with the fencing you mentioned . I keep my geese separate from my ducks and chickens. I put them together once, and the geese were chasing the ducks and pinning them down by their necks and sitting on them . ( bullies) so I never tried it again. But there are people who do. I guess it depends on your willingness to take risks. With my birds, I am extremely anti-risk. Probably to a fault. But they’re my babies.💕 I’m 62 years old. Five children in their late 20s and late 30s but no grandchildren . So I spoil my birds instead.

Back
Top Bottom