Keeping my Turkey Rooster warm

Swampy_9

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
So i have one rooster who just happens to be a turkey. He doesn't have any feathers on his neck his chest including his crop, his bottom and his vent area is also bare.

Now as of now its not known if its going to be bellow zero at any point but it is chili and today we have our first snow. I've told him to stay in the coop but i also put down this box like area. where He has gotten into and sat on his feet to keep them warm.

Im wondering is there anyway that i can keep him warm? like should i make him a special vest or anything? he hasnt gotten any frostbite as of yet but ive been keeping an eye on it. I left the coop open if he wants to go in and perch but he hasnt given the girls are out and foraging. should i make him something or is there anything specifically i can do to keep him warm?

Sounds like he is molting. At night, if he perches with the other turkeys, that will help keep him warm. Make sure your coop is draft free where they roost, but it's very important to have ventilation at the top of the coop. Otherwise, moisture will build up, and that is their worst enemy in freezing weather.

In the day, he will go out if he's comfortable enough, or stay in to keep warm.

How is his behavior in general? Normal, or is he acting sick?

I've never tried clothes for turkeys, but you could keep him in the garage in a crate if it gets really cold or if he seems ill.

Back
Top Bottom