Keeping pheasants and chickens together.

Cottage Goblin

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2022
I have multiple random research questions, feel free to answer one or multiple of them!
1. Would you be able to keep pheasants and chickens together?
2. Are male pheasants louder, quieter, or at the same volume as roosters?
3. Of you already have an established flock of chicken hens, could you introduce pheasants?
4. Can male pheasants live together?
5. Are you able to hatch raise pheasants "easily"? I would consider standard chicken eggs as easy for birds.

Thank you for your time!

1) not a good idea to keep chickens and pheasants together due to disease risk, hybridization, and housing requirements (pheasants can’t be coop-trained and can’t be free-ranged)
2) a male pheasant is just as loud as a rooster, but it is a different sound and IME not as frequent
3) only if you’re willing to take the risks and plan to attempt hybridization
4) males can be kept together with enough space and hens or in a bachelor setting but there is still a risk of fighting during breeding season
5). I wouldn’t say they are that much more difficult than chickens or anything else….but they do better under red lamp than white in the brooder and I use slightly higher humidity during incubation.

We had a wild pheasant join our chickens and did just fine for a while. Visited and hung with our chickens for a month or so. Didn’t so much do the coop thing, but would stay in the run. They all seemed to get along fine

Attachments

• A76245E5-DEDC-4EF6-833E-7583698D43F2.jpeg
    A76245E5-DEDC-4EF6-833E-7583698D43F2.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 34
  • C503F4B6-CE99-4E42-B734-9628F73474CC.jpeg
    C503F4B6-CE99-4E42-B734-9628F73474CC.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 34
Keeping pheasants and chickens together, is a recipe for disaster...chickens carry diseases that they can tolerate but will kill pheasants and other gamebirds, may not be today, a month or a year from now but it will eventually happen and you will lose all your birds...it's a 'ticking time bomb'.

Back
Top Bottom