Keeping rabbits and chickens together!?!

I had already forgotten about that post by the time I read yours, lol. I went back and read the first post to see if she had said anything about just turning her rabbits loose. That was my oversight, sorry
smile.png

I agree with most of that. My rabbits and bantams aren't together just because I am too lazy to build a separate pen for them, however. It is simply the best use of my space. I don't have room for another pen that I can cover, there are too many trees on our property (not my property, belongs to my parents, I can't just cut trees down to build another pen) and we have too many hawks to have an uncovered pen for rabbits or chickens. I could divide this pen in half, both sets of animals would have sufficient room, but I like for them to have the most room possible and it works for me. Yeah, the rabbits get pecked once in awhile, but rabbits kept in groups also fight once in awhile. I have yet to have a chicken peck a rabbit badly enough to do more than pick out a few hairs. When my adults were all together I had a lot more trouble with rabbits injuring each other. I have had rabbit fights that have resulted in (minor) open wounds, this was mostly in the beginning when they were working out a pecking order. After the first few days they settled down, but I have had to remove a few trouble makers. The only way to ensure that one animal doesn't injure another (even animals that usually get along) is to keep them alone in their own cage.

I have sufficient room in the pen that neither set of animals is crowded and don't generally feel the need to pick on each other. I really don't think the risk of cocci is much higher with the chickens than with other rabbits on the ground. If your chickens don't have cocci, the rabbits won't get it from them and vice versa. Cocci is picked up off the ground. Neither had it going in, so if they get it, they would have gotten it anyway even without the presence of the other. Again, good management helps control parasites of any kind. My pens are cleaned frequently (and cleaning one more really wouldn't be a problem, had I the room, so again the dual purpose pen is not due to laziness). My rabbits are not at all stressed by the chickens. If they were, or if the chickens were to start injuring the rabbits, I would divide the pen or move the chickens.

To each there own. Things that work for one don't always work for another, but I don't believe I am being irresponsible by having a multispecies pen when everyone is happy and healthy. If I were allowing the animals to harm each other, that would be different, but they really are all one big happy family with very little bickering. If that were not the case, I would change the way I do things IMMEDIATELY. I care very much about the health and happiness of my animals, whether they are pets or intended for food, they are all treated with the same respect, love, and care.

I have rabbits, ducks and chickens but I keep them in separate pens. We had one little Houdini bunny who kept getting out of her pen and into the duck pen to eat their feed - she seemed to get along great with the ducks and vice versa.

That said, I moved her to another pen where she cannot get into the duck pen.

Here's the reason: I have a beautiful little rabbit who is blind in one eye because his original owner kept him with chickens, then didn't get him vet care promptly. Since the eye is startling to look at, it upset the woman's children and she ditched him on Freecycle where I found him.

Nod's bad eye tends to get re-infected and require vet treatment from time to time and we have to keep the fur around his eye clipped. He is a sweetheart and we're fortunate that he does very well, though he does tend to run into things every so often.

Just for fun, here's Nod:

Oct1005.jpg

As a rabbit breeder, I can tell you that letting your rabbits run loose in your barn is not a good idea. As everyone else said, they can get coccidia. Besides that, letting roam around in a building like that can be dangerous for them. They are also very destructive when it comes to chewing. if your building is wood, they will chew their way out. Best thing to do is keep them caged, in rabbit hutches, seperate from the chickens. Rabbits have different nutritional needs then chickens do. some types of chieck feed(the medicated stuff) can be toxic to them. Also, a caged rabbit, fed rabbit pellets and hay will tend to finish out better, and be in better condition then one that isn't. You also take chances of them breeding like crazy when the run loose together. Then you end up being overrun with a bunch of severely inbred rabbits.

I'm the person with the live cam on my chickens and rabbit (www.hencam.com) I've happily, healthily kept a pet bunny in with my flock for several years. I have it set-up so that all of the animals get what they need to stay clean and healthy. I don't have meat rabbits - just a lop ear who is happy to have an enriched environment with chicken friends. Here is a FAQ about how I do it: http://www.hencam.com/henblog/2009/04/rabbits-and-chickens/

When we had a smaller yard, our chickens and rabbit would always run loose together and eat scraps together. Also, they would pretty much ignore each other.
smile.png
They are still fine with each other.

Back
Top Bottom