Keeping the coop warm in the winter, HOW?

Pigglies, Consider the known fact that warm air rises. People housing is insulated across the ceiling to keep heat in. It is also cross ventilated with roof vents and eave vents under the sofits for air circulation of the enclosed roof space. This is done so the space never gets colder or hotter than the outside temperature. The living space in your home has cold air returns that your furnace draws air from the home and reheats it during the winter and if you have air conditioning, it cools it in the summer. We try to keep the living space as comfortable as possible without roasting or freezing to death using this method amongst others.
Lets just say the upper portion of your coop is where trapped warm air, moisture, and amonia can be filtered out of your coop. Based on your living location, make sure air enters from one end of the coop and exits the other. You will have to decide how big or how little to make your holes. The bigger the coop, the bigger the ventilation holes. I used floor heater vents of 8x11 with the little slide tab for opening and closing off the vents as needed. this allows me to control the air flow during extremely cold days. You most likely have them on the floor inside your home. The local hardware store sells them. The lower portion of your coop or living space will be much more comfortable for the chickens if you do a few things to this area as well. A cold floor can be filled with straw and inside walls can be insulated or caulked for leaks. A few small windows can be added for sunlight. A heated water dish would be an excellent solution if you had electric but there are other alternatives you can read up on for something without electric. Your chickens usually roost higher than their nesting boxes. Its almost a given on most breeds. Keep your nesting boxes close to but not on the floor. Older chickens and mature birds have a hard time getting down from high roosts. They are not as agile as when they were younger. I provided a ramp as its hard to find a happy medium for all the birds. I hope some of this helps. Its just my opinion and how I have dealt with these issues in Michigan.
smile.png

All very good advice. I made roost shelves with framing and that green plastic garden fencing, which is rather strong when stretched on a frame, less than 2' off the ground, for some of my elderly birds. Poop mostly goes through the 1" squares. You can also put hay or bunched shavings on top of it for extra warmth for them in winter. I used the plastic screened vents you put in the basement concrete block walls on my original coop in the wall, sort of like you did. I've also used one in the ceiling of one coop that has a loft so it is open in summer to let hot air up into the loft (which is vented as well) and I close it in winter to keep warm air down lower. There are still vents in the lower walls as well. Ventilation is paramount, no matter the season, for healthy chickens!

I have decided to buy one or two of those 1" thick horse stall mats for under he shavings in the original coop. TSC, though I hate to give them business, has the 4x6 size for about $35. That will make the floor warmer as well as padding for my old rooster with arthritis when he jumps off the lower roost.

Last edited:
Would a heat pad survive as a possibility to keep my chickens warm? I have a really small flock of 3 hens. They are polish chickens, but my coop we built is large and could hold 6+ chickens. One of my girls likes to lay on the floor while the other two use the roost. I'm wondering if a heat pad is a good alternative and less of a fire hazard. Any advice? have others use that.

Would a heat pad survive as a possibility to keep my chickens warm? I have a really small flock of 3 hens. They are polish chickens, but my coop we built is large and could hold 6+ chickens. One of my girls likes to lay on the floor while the other two use the roost. I'm wondering if a heat pad is a good alternative and less of a fire hazard. Any advice? have others use that.

You mean put a heating pad in the shavings on the floor? I'm not sure I'd do that. That is only warm if they are laying on top of it and you risk a short in the cord, though I have used one on the lowest setting, covered with a towel on top of a concrete block under the 3 gallon waterer to keep it from freezing, but it's a risk, either way.

If you've ever been a kid in a hayloft, you know how toasty snuggling into hay can be. If you are in a very cold climate, just a thick bed of hay will keep three birds quite warm if they roost in it. It doesn't absorb dampness well, so you either remove it on a regular basis or you can add shavings on top of it to absorb the wet, but hay/straw is very warm as bedding in a cold winter, IF they sleep in it.

I would highly recommend against a regular heat pad, they are not durable enough could easily be damaged...

If you want to use a 'heat pad' get yourself a 'pig blanket' and mount it to the wall, space it off the wall about 1" and position it so the birds can't lean up against it... If you can't position it anywhere they won't lean on it, put a hardware mesh shield in front of it so they have to keep a few inches away... They are designed to be +30-35°F over ambient temps, so they should never burn but IMO it's still best to avoid direct contact although they are designed for direct contact... And even though the manufacture recommends against covering, I have used these things for decades in reptile tanks covered with bedding and have never had an issue...

http://www.osbornelivestockequipment.com/stanfield-overview/

Our birds free range a lot of the day. What is too cold for them to be out? They are all Easter Eggers. Do they like to be out in snow if not too chilly?

Our birds free range a lot of the day. What is too cold for them to be out? They are all Easter Eggers. Do they like to be out in snow if not too chilly?

Real hard question to answer, if it's windy and wet on a 32° it can be just as harmful to them as a still cold -10° day... Lots of factors to consider when it comes to exposure... Best bet IMO is always offer them the shelter of a dry, draft free coop and let them decide when they venture out... That is short of say the extreme stupid cold days that no one has any business being out in...

I have a 4 foot x 8 foot coop with 5 cold hardy chickens. They have roosts, but prefer to use the rafters instead. Should I close off the "attic" for the winter to force them to roost lower? It's not really drafty up there. There are vents, but wind doesn't blow right through as they are house vents.

I live in Northern NY. Last winter it got down to -25, so I'm also looking for waterer ideas. I can change it a few times a day most days. No power in the coop.

By the way, for those of you who live where it is not very cold, it's already been in the 20s a few evenings here and the chickens do not seem to care at all.

I wouldn't force them anywhere. If it is drafty higher up and they have a roost somewhat lower, they will use it. They know when they are comfortable and when they are not. They will move if they are not comfortable given the opportunity.

Run, do not walk, away from that idea! I would never put any sort of resistance heat in a coop, NEVER. And twice NEVER on putting it under shavings. You are just asking for a fire and fried chicken.

I don't know Polish, are they any less able than other breeds to fill their feather layers with air to stay warm? If they have no draft they do not need heat! If they do have draft, they need a modified coop.

They may be "bird brains" but they ain't stoopid!
big_smile.png

If you have a run that is totally open, I would cover the sides with plastic or tarps or something so they can be out of the coop but not in the wind. Given that situation, they will decide where they want to be. Mine are not all that enamored with snow (other than eating it) but will go out in the dead of winter on a calm sunny day. Otherwise, they will just hang in the barn alley. After all, the desire to be outside is partly to forage all those tasty bugs and plants, none of which exist in the winter, at least not in Vermont.

Dont be offended but i had to laugh at the heating pad suggestion. I pulled a cyatic nerve in my back and have been using a heating pad to ease the pain. I have chickens that prefer the floor over a roost and more than just one. It might be because the floor is heavlily lined with straw for the coming winter months. I dunno. Some of my birds take to nesting boxes to sleep at night. Their choice and we dont have much control over what goes on in the coop so to speak. Unless your chicken is showing some signs of discomfort, I wouldnt worry about where she nests down. :/

Good to know that they should just go to the lower roost if they are too drafty. I was mainly concerned as I'd heard of someone's rooster freezing to death because he refused to roost inside the nice warm coop (or semi-warm) because he wanted to be up higher. The lower roosts have been changed a few times. They are currently 2x4s with the 4 side up. The high roosts are 2x4s with the 2 side facing up (1.5 if you want to get technical).

I have 2 house vents installed in the coop. Bigger than the vents I see on most chicken coops, but they were the most economical choice. Plus there is a window that can be opened or shut depending on the weather.

They have nest boxes on the wall and the floor. Unfortunately, they prefer the floor boxes. One in the back corner to be specific! Will this cause any problems aside from frozen eggs?

Back
Top Bottom