Keeping water fountains thawed

I use the exact same setup (except my bucket is a square kitty litter bucket). It is about 6F right now. The bucket is warm and the nipples are still flowing.
Such a relief, eh?!!!
ya.gif
I'm totally sold on this system. Temps here can get down pretty low. Last year during the period 12/15 to 1/15 we can have night temps as low as 10-15 below zero. So far this winter the coldest has been 6 below zero and my little water heater/bucket system is just humming right along! I wish you all the very best!!
frow.gif

i'll have to check those out. i used the drip nipple last year with the same heating element resting in the bottom of the bucket, but the metal toggles often froze. go figure.

i'll have to check those out. i used the drip nipple last year with the same heating element resting in the bottom of the bucket, but the metal toggles often froze. go figure.
Hmmmm....if your water bucket is a 5-gallon, a 250-watt mini stock tank heater probably won't do the job. You might have to go to a 500-watt one...just thinkin'
frow.gif

Hmmmm....if your water bucket is a 5-gallon, a 250-watt mini stock tank heater probably won't do the job. You might have to go to a 500-watt one...just thinkin'
frow.gif
I've got a ~5 gallon kitty litter bucket with horizontal nipples. So far, it has been about 5F. My 250 watt heater has kept the bucket completely liquid and kept the nipples thawed.

I am thinking of insulating the bucket to reduce energy usage.

we've been in the low teens (overnight) for a week now. Three cookie tin heaters with 40watt bulbs, $18, and no frozen water..... yet anyway!

I see the fear of using house power for heating bird watering founts; but forget that fear and go with a simple 40-60W bulb format. Remember, old time Christmas lights used 110VAC power and lay in snow or water for weeks at a time. I took a 1/2 cinder block (about 4"x4") and chipped a notch on one side along the edge. Just enough for a line cord to fit comfortably. I attached a ceramic light socket (like one used in an attic or crawl space) to a 2x2 " wood base (plywood or scrap left over flooring). I slipped the fixture under the cinder block and placed the block with 40 watt bulb in the corner of the coop. I ran the cord up and out of the coop to an outdoor approved plug and it started up immediately.
I placed the 2 Gal (any size can be used) on top of the cinder block and it rests over the lit bulb, never freezing over again. 25 Watt works ok too...but not where freezing temps last for weeks at a time. The cost is approximately 15-18 Cents per day. Incandescent bulbs only as led or fluorescents do not heat up. 60 Watt is good for very cold temps and that is why I mentioned that size. The only caution, if you have a leaking container; place a sheet metal square over the block opening to prevent water from dripping on the bulb. Cold water on a hot bulb will blow the bulb, not what you wanted to do.

Excellent! & Yes insulating with a fiberglass wrap or on lines, an insulating wrap works great. Some folks use heating tape (like that used in egg incubation units). Naturally using heating tape requires an energy source.

Back
Top Bottom