keet can't/won't stand up and walk...

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
**updated below**.....Hi all....been busy with all the birds but seem to have a problem with
one of my day old keets.....he/she can't/won't stand up...he tries taking
a few steps then,opps!,done he goes. Is there anything I can do?
any have this problem with one of your keets and have a good outcome?
He tries, just seems his little legs just won't hold him up....anyone?
PeepsCA? need help for my little guy....what can I do? (sunday)

**UPDATE**
(monday)
ok...I had already seperated the little guy....in a box within the brooder so can still hear the others....for his water I added poly-vi-sol baby vitamins and instead of the rubbery shelf liner that is in the brooder I put a towel down instead....this morning I added some wire to the floor of his box and this has enabled him to help right his self.... putting the wire in has just been done so hope the little guy continues to improve.....he's not 'right' yet and still don't know what's wrong, so if anyone has any ideas, please sound off....thanks..

Last edited:
I don't have any answers, but I have a little meet who suddenly can't walk too. He's with his mama and 18-or-so brothers/ sisters in a broody box. He's walking on his haunches w. his wings out for balance.

I recently had a day-old keet who couldn't stand up. S/he "bicycled" when trying to stand. Would right itself, then fall again. You can take a band-aid and cut it VERY thin and make a brace for its legs. Below is a link to a great website that can help visually guide you in how to do this. I've only done it once, and I was successful, but I had lots of help from the pros on this forum and these instructions. I'm not an expert at all, so I can't offer any real advice except that this is best done the first time with two people :).

However, I can tell you that I put the brace up around the "thigh" area, above the "knees" (pardon my lack of knowledge re: proper physiology terms) and then spent a day helping the little keet to stay upright, took it to food and water. I didn't sit over the keet for 24 hours, but I did check on it every hour or two and help it eat and drink and stand. I didn't remove it from the group either. Today, the keet is perfect - runs, flies, perches....I can't tell it ever had a problem.

http://thebreed.yuku.com/topic/367

(I can't remember the name of the person from this forum who shared this website with me, but I want to thank you - again. You deserve credit, not me!!)

Good luck with your keet!
fl.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I really appreciate you giving out this information, even if it is second hand! I was at a loss - my new keet was born Thursday, feet curled and was not able to stand on its own. So what did I do but check out all the fabulous advice from Back Yard Chickens! I looked at the site and did what was told. It took a few days but by Sunday my little one was able to stand, walk, jump and actually run! I have a little fighter on my hands now and am VERY thankful for it! I can't wait to watch it grow up and join the rest of our guineas.

Back
Top Bottom