duckduckgose

Songster
Sep 18, 2018
Hi peeps! :frow
about a week or two ago one of my guineas hatched out a horde of keets, and within the next hour and a half due to bad weather and other random disasters managed to lose about half of them then had a brain explosion after somehow managing to get them into my garden (which is quite well fenced with little netting) and decided to jump out.... instead of going back the way she came and left all the babies in there she waited for them for a while then gave up, when I realized what happened I tried to give them back to her but she didn't want to know about it so I ended up bringing them inside with a couple of orp chicks that turned up around the same time and kept them on the heat pad. they're doing alright but I have one that has a weird issue with his feet, his toes are sort of curled up into little fists and his legs are quite splayed out. i originally thought he would just grow out of it but its been a good while now and he hasn't improved and I'm starting to worry that ill have to put him down if he doesn't get better soon, he's still eating and drinking and he can get around but it looks very awkward and painful. hope one of you guys can help me out.

You aren't the same person who posted a week or two ago, are you? If so, apologies if you get repeat info.
Splayed legs basically means he slipped and caused injury or has a genetic issue.
If injury, you can splint the legs in various ways, search forum for "splayed legs" to find the one you like best. I prefer the cradle method, and I think there's a couple of ways to do that. I use a canning jar, stretch a footie sock over the top and secure with a rubber band, snip two holes about an inch apart in the sock over top center of jar. Then you can remove sock (or not) slip keet into it with it's feet/legs through the holes before putting back over jar. The point is for the keet to dangle inside of jar without feet touching the bottom, like a hammock. It helps to realign his hips/legs. You do this for short periods (15 min) 3 or 4 x a day, and he should be a-ok in a couple of days. He may be a ok the next day but I'd still do it the next day d/t potential relapse. I'm sorry, I don't have pics, but this to can be found with the search of splayed legs.
1/2 tab B complex vitamin per day in his water will help strengthen legs.
If it's genetic, there's not going to be much you can do for him. But given what you've described, chances are this will help.
Had to come back and edit, I forgot the curly toes. Flatten his toes out into correct position on a bandaid or pet tape and seal. This should be removed at night, and would be best if you put something -thin gauze, or use 2 bandaids so the patches are on top/bottom skin -to protect skin from adhesive. Again, I have no pics so search curly toes for images. At 2 weeks you're dealing with tiny, fragile skin & toes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom