KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

I've also read repeated warnings not to use metal spoons to stir with or metal strainers/collanders for straining. Any metal used has a bad effect on the kefir grains.
Use only wooden or plastic spoons and plastic strainers. I use a wooden chopstick to stir it.

Last edited:
By New Years I should have an excess of kefir grains. If anyone would like some, PM me.
If anyone else on here wants to share their grains with others, this would be a good place to let other members know.

We just started making out own yogurt a few months ago, after learning an easy method from an Indian woman that didn't take a yogurt maker. We have 3 goats at the breeders, so hope to have fresh goat milk to play with next spring. We have mentioned kefir, but never really understood what it was. I would love to get started with some. So far the biggest problem we have with the yogurt is not eating too much!

Quote:
What ever suites you and what ever you have available..

I personally feel that when making Kefir or Yogurt that the addition of the cultures, substantially reduces any worries one may have about bad bacteria.

With proper conditions Good overwhelms "evil" every single time...
smile.png

It is a natural law.... If it were not, our planet would be a toxic festering cesspool. It is my opinion we humans have lost trust in this natural law, and frequently sterilize just about everything including our bodies, which upsets the natural balance of things. Once the good guys are killed off the bad guys can get a foothold and cause even more problems.. IMO one needs to have respect for the ruling and dominant life forms on this planet.. Also I feel it is best to work with them instead of against them.. Resistance is futile, we are hopelessly outnumbered...
lol.png

Since I am on a tangent....
roll.png

I propose we take back the word "REAL" from the marketing folks of Industrial dairy. It is unfortunate, but some how in our culture the word "raw" some how implies not finished.....
So from now on I am calling raw milk.... REAL milk..

ON

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Something about probiotics that compel a person to share.. It is a good feeling..
I've also read repeated warnings not to use metal spoons to stir with or metal strainers/collanders for straining. Any metal used has a bad effect on the kefir grains.
Use only wooden or plastic spoons and plastic strainers. I use a wooden chopstick to stir it.

I think Dom may be the root of not allowing metal to come in contact with the kefir. Just like Kombucha it has an acidity which can react. Lets just say I used a metal strainer with my kefir and my grains became sickly after some months, where my brother used a plastic strainer and his remained healthy..

So I believe there is something to it.

(Still working on getting a bit of the kefir culture that has been in the family for generations.. He resides in Germany and is lovingly named Hugo..)
ON​

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=5541.0

Freezing Kefir Grains
One method for storing kefir grains for periods of up to 2 months, is by freezing the grains. To freeze kefir grains effectively, wash the grains with pre-boiled then COOLED water, pat them dry between pre-ironed cooled white towel to remove excess moisture. Place the grains in a jar or in a plastic bag, with the addition of dry milk powder [do not add fresh milk or other water based liquids]. Add enough dry milk powder [DMP] to completely cover the grains, seal the jar or the bag and then freeze. DMP is added as a protective agent. Although I've found that kefir grains are viable for up to one year when using this method, this length of time may completely remove the yeast component found in healthy kefir grains [when frozen for longer than 2 months, but not specifically]. Because of this potential, freezing kefir grains as explained above, is best performed for a period of no longer than 2 months. If DMP is omitted with the kefir grains, then a period of no longer than 1 month is recommended. Otherwise the yeast component of kefir grains may become damaged, especially so if thawed and frozen due to poor freezing conditions or poor freezer mechanism of the refrigerator or freezer.

Drying Kefir Grains
Kefir grains may be dehydrated for long term storage of up to 12 to 18 months.
To dehydrate fresh kefir grains, rinse the grains with pre-boiled COOLED water. To remove excess moisture, pat-dry the grains between a pre-ironed cooled white terry towel. Place the grains in between two sheets of pre-ironed white cotton or linen cloth. Leave to dry in a well ventilated warm spot, until the grains become quite firm and yellow in colour. Depending on temperature, humidity and size of the grains, drying may take between two to five days for all the grains to completely dehydrate. Place the dry grains in an airtight jar and store in a cool place e.g., in the refrigerator [do not freeze]. I add a little dry milk powder [DMP] with dehydrated kefir grains, adding enough DMP to completely cover the grains in a jar or in a zip lock plastic bag. Dehydrated kefir grains may be stored for up to 18 months. Although I have discovered that my method of adding DMP, dehydrated kefir grains can remain viable for up to 6 years.

Quote:
Thanks for this information Joe. I didn't know this. I have been using a metal strainer. I guess I will go buy a plastic one today. I don't know to hurt my grains.

Little Ameraucana Mom wrote:
I tryed it years ago, but I don't drink much milk so I kept forgetting about it and it would get to strong for me to drink. But now my daughter Sebright mom, has some grains, plus she milks 2 cows (I do drink raw milk) so maybe I'll get a start from her and try it again. plus now I have the chickens to help me drink it !!! She does cow shares if anyone close by is interested

I actually think my goat milk and cows milk taste the same. I can't tell much differences. It is all better than the store stuff.

Quote:
Thanks for this information Joe. I didn't know this. I have been using a metal strainer. I guess I will go buy a plastic one today. I don't know to hurt my grains.

Little Ameraucana Mom wrote:
I tryed it years ago, but I don't drink much milk so I kept forgetting about it and it would get to strong for me to drink. But now my daughter Sebright mom, has some grains, plus she milks 2 cows (I do drink raw milk) so maybe I'll get a start from her and try it again. plus now I have the chickens to help me drink it !!! She does cow shares if anyone close by is interested

I actually think my goat milk and cows milk taste the same. I can't tell much differences. It is all better than the store stuff.

I'd like to have a little Jersey cow or three goats, but Anne's too lazy to milk them.

Back
Top Bottom