KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

Here is a recipe I was just given, I haven't tryed it yet.

Cucumber Soup

4 large cucumbers – peel and remove seeds
1 quart sour cream
2 quarts buttermilk (or kefir)
¾ cup fresh lemon juice
2 t. salt
3 T. dill weed
½ cup chopped parsley
8 scallions

Divide all ingredients into 4 parts and blend each part in a blender.
Whip together in a large container.
Chill and serve.

I'm overrun with kefir! But a long way away from USA, sorry to say (though I'd happily send some if I thought it would survive, and was legal...).

Another addendum to this ancient thread: I'm currently breaking all the rules (it seems) and my kefir remains rampant. Got it growing beautifully in 9/10 powdered skim milk (made up of course) with 1/10 pasteurised shop milk. Using a metal strainer though I always use plastic containers.

Here I bought the kefir off ebay, I'm sure there are sellers in the US who do that too... It was $10 for a teaspoonful! I felt a bit ripped off but looking back it's been the most productive kefir I've ever owned (is 'owned' the right word? More like 'cohabited with'...).

best wishes
Erica

I got mine from Nick's Natural Nook . I'd had grains from them before, but in preparations to move from a house with our lease nearly up, a housemate tossed it. I had my grains in the fridge in a jar of milk, so it became a victim of fridge cleaning, doh!

The older set of grains and newer set of grains I got from them were very healthy on arrival, and incredibly well packed to prevent harm from coming to them or any leakage. Going strong now after the first few batches where the grains 'recover' from their shipping ordeal.

I make milk kefir from regular store brand whole milk (not ultra pastuerized) and feed it to the chickens- actually I soak some of the dried pellets of food in it to give to them so they don't make so much of a mess. They like the kefir 'cheese' or just the kefir or even the whey.

I also use it in smoothies and soak grains that I'm cooking for myself in water with a little kefir as suggested in many recipes in the Nourishing Traditions cook book (by Sally Fallon , I think).

I got my kefir grains locally and if there is anyone local to Mesa AZ who would like some milk kefir grains I have some extras available for pick up from time to time. I will not mail them- too much trouble for me and it's too hot here.

Also there are many people that have milk and water kefir grains in an online yahoo group 'good kefir grains' that may be close to some of you.

I'm stuck using store milk. Whatever I don't drink, I give to the chickens and dogs. Well I give to the chickens and the dogs think it's unfair and cry until I give them some.

I make jam and syrup when I can get berries cheap or free. Just warm some up and mix a bit in the glass of kefir to flavor it.

I admit I'm bad and strain with a small strainer. I hasn't stopped it from growing like mad. It's only touching metal for a moment and I use glass jars to culture.

I need sheep or goats for milk (and desperately for blackberry, rose and grass control). Got to get some fencing up and I'd like a small barn for them, though we have a suitable 3 sided shelter already.

I make kefir but do not really like the taste.
sad.png
Can I flavor it somehow? Splenda maybe? Honey? Can I use it and make like a fruit smoothie?

Quote:
Totally! It makes a wonderful smoothie. I can't drink it strait either, has to have something added. Anything you can do to yogurt you can do to kefir.

Back
Top Bottom