Kerr Center tractor design issues?

As mentioned earlier, I see no roost in the coop and it has at least 2 too many nest boxes. I hope you have a tractor to pull/move your tractor.

How many chickens are you planning? In some of the pics, I see 5 or 6. I wouldn't put more than 3 in it.

Any suggestions?
Want to do a tractor initially, until we are ready to commit to a location.
I liked that it was heavier ()
There are a lot of tractor designs,
you'll have to search and browse until you find one that fits your needs.
First learn about roost and nest sizing and location for coops, while you are navigating the learning curve about raising the chicks you've got coming.

@imnukensc makes very important point....do you have a vehicle that will move a heavy chicken tractor??

The next most important thing about tractors is decent wheels that match the terrain you plan to traverse. Tho some just use large skids, but that can limit the movement to 'straight' ahead unless you can lift the front to make a turn.

Digging predator protection is another toughy. Anti-dig Aprons are the best but hard to manage on a mobile. I did it like this, it works OK, but that tractor is not for layers and is not really heavy enough to deter strong winds. There's another big tractor for layers that comes to mind, large sturdy, in the south(I think), moved with a big truck(I think), and has aprons...I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it!
You can check that members other threads, there is a quite detailed thread on the building of his 'Flying Fortress'.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rtress-tractor-3-miles.1217645/#post-19455345

Any suggestions?
Want to do a tractor initially, until we are ready to commit to a location.
I liked that it was heavier ()
I built one about 6'x10' with a domed top. Only thing I had any real problem with (other than stupid measuring mistakes) was the pitched top, made with galvanized tubing to support the wire. If you're not familiar with using a tubing bender it's a real PITA.

I made one similar to this 9 years ago. Coop itself is 4 by 6 with another 4 by 6 area for the run, so total run 4 by 12. I used it for bantams & now for a couple guineas. I wouldn't put more than 4 layers in it. We have 2 external nest boxes on one long side. I use it as a stationary coop with an additional run now. We have about 12 inch tires on the back & a trailer jack to jack it up & pull from the front. Our wheels are on an axle that go thru the run underneath & we put pins in when it is jacked up to hold it while we moved it. Moved easily with a lawn mower. Had to move with chickens inside the coop. It worked well for a few years, but I must caution about how often you have to move it if you want to keep your grass. Even with 8 bantams, I had to move it every 2 days or they would destroy all the grass & dig deep holes. YMMV

There are a lot of tractor designs,
you'll have to search and browse until you find one that fits your needs.
First learn about roost and nest sizing and location for coops, while you are navigating the learning curve about raising the chicks you've got coming.

@imnukensc makes very important point....do you have a vehicle that will move a heavy chicken tractor??

The next most important thing about tractors is decent wheels that match the terrain you plan to traverse. Tho some just use large skids, but that can limit the movement to 'straight' ahead unless you can lift the front to make a turn.

Digging predator protection is another toughy. Anti-dig Aprons are the best but hard to manage on a mobile. I did it like this, it works OK, but that tractor is not for layers and is not really heavy enough to deter strong winds. There's another big tractor for layers that comes to mind, large sturdy, in the south(I think), moved with a big truck(I think), and has aprons...I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it!
You can check that members other threads, there is a quite detailed thread on the building of his 'Flying Fortress'.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rtress-tractor-3-miles.1217645/#post-19455345
Thanks so much! Almost started last night, something told me to hold off...
As mentioned earlier, I see no roost in the coop and it has at least 2 too many nest boxes. I hope you have a tractor to pull/move your tractor.

How many chickens are you planning? In some of the pics, I see 5 or 6. I wouldn't put more than 3 in it.

I do. I have my truck if needed, a small tractor and also a riding lawnmower, depending on what I need and if I can get the lawnmower started, lol

Back
Top Bottom