Khaki cambell ducklings

brookesducks

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2016
I am thing about getting a couple khaki cambell ducklings but I need them to be females since I only have 1 male and 2 females.Is there a way to guess if the ducklings are Male or female?

She is very beautiful!I would take her inside with you. If it cold outside or at night, her body temperature may need to get back to normal. But if sh is acting fine, but just can't walk, she might not be getting the right nutrition or enough protein. Make sure then alway have fresh, clean water at all times even at night. I am thinking she is a little weak. Ive hard some people giving honey or yogurt to sick ducks. Some plants are actually poisonous to ducks, so that could also be the cause.

Glad she is doing better. Your situation is a bit odd. For so many birds to be effected I would think it was either exposure to something toxic or a nutritional deficiency. It may be they suffered some sort of injury but for so many to have the same symptoms is weird. It could be that the smyptoms meant they couldn't eat or drink and that is why they passed.

I would check their feed and make sure it has all the right nutrients. Make sure corn isn't more than 25% of their diet because it doesn't provide much in the way of nutrition. When giving them apple make sure there are no seeds. Apple seeds are toxic.

If this happens again I would do what you did this time. Seperate them to a place with easy acces to food and water. Check for any signs of injury on the legs, making sure you check the joints and the bottom of the feet. Good luck.

The only way to know for sure with the KC is by vent sexing. But that should only be performed by an experienced professional. You can order sexed ducklings from a hatchery. I know Metzer has KC and their minimum order is 2 ducklings. You are going to pay a lot more than you would at a feed store though, with the extra shipping charges and sexing fee. For me it was worth it to pay more and get exactly what I wanted. But even with vent sexing it's not 100% guaranteed they will get it right.

Hi I'm new to this and would so appreciate people's feedback,
I have a duck well 22 of them I have lost a few they start of having trouble in walking then when I open the cage up in the morning she has died
1f622.png
It's heart breaking as I don't know what is causing this. Today my duck was dragging herself on the floor I have attached a picture I actually think at one point she was having a fit I have now separated her and kept her indoors tonight as she will get tramped on by the others and thought this is what could of killed my others!!
They are all female and are about 29weeks old. Any advice please?

I have a duck well 22 of them I have lost a few they start of having trouble in walking then when I open the cage up in the morning she has died
1f622.png
It's heart breaking as I don't know what is causing this. Today my duck was dragging herself on the floor I have attached a picture I actually think at one point she was having a fit I have now separated her and kept her indoors tonight as she will get tramped on by the others and thought this is what could of killed my others!!
Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Sorry for all these questions but in order to figure this out we are going to have to narrow things down.
How many have you lost and did they all have the same symptoms?
Was the only symptoms not being able to walk? If no, what were the other symptoms?
About how long was it from when they first showed symptoms and time of death?
What are you currently feeding them?
Do they free-range? If so, is it possible they had access to any toxic plants?
Is it possible they had access to any decaying animals or plants, standing water, or spoiled food?

Hi thank you for helping, they had the same symptoms of not being able to walk they usually struggle for about 3 days before I find them in their cage being trampled on, they are free range and nothing in the field they are on layers and mix corn and have apple they have a pond which is freshly changes everyday,

They are so beautiful and I'm worried if it is something I'm doing I have had them since they were 7 weeks old

1f622.png

She is very beautiful!I would take her inside with you. If it cold outside or at night, her body temperature may need to get back to normal. But if sh is acting fine, but just can't walk, she might not be getting the right nutrition or enough protein. Make sure then alway have fresh, clean water at all times even at night. I am thinking she is a little weak. Ive hard some people giving honey or yogurt to sick ducks. Some plants are actually poisonous to ducks, so that could also be the cause.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom