Kind of a gurgly cough w/ no other symptoms?

Chef

Chicken Connoisseur
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
So.Cal
Please lend some advise is possible. I have been reading alot of other posts on this subject and am thinking some of my chickens may be having some trouble. They are not showing any outward signs of infection such as watery eyes, or snotty nose, but I keep hearing like a congested sneeze from some of them. So last night I went out and listened to them breathe while on the roost and could hear some of the chickens in question with a slight gurgle. Is it possible for them to get CRD without having the outward signs? Poops look normal, and their overall appearance seems to be healthy. Everyone is eating normal. I have noticed a slight reduction in egg production and the color of the eggs is not usual. I have antibiotics on hand but I dont want to jump the gun. There is alot of dust that gets kicked up on the floor right now because I have not put sand in two of the coops yet. The nesting boxes have shavings. Is there anything else I can do besides isolate and get them tested?
Oh ya I was reading something about vitamin A deficientcy can mimic CRD. Anyone have any more info on this? The reason I am wondering is because my feed right now is kept in rubbermaid containers outside. It has not always been in a cool dry place. The food now is fairly new and I have since moved it to a shaded area. How long does the deficiency take to show effects? Sorry if all this has been covered but I couldn't find all the answers I was looking for. Thanks in advance!

Chef

Last edited:
Just to be on the safe side I would get some Tylan Soluble. If they have CRD chronic respiratory disease they might start showing symptoms any time now and at least you will be prepared. By the time a chicken, pet parrot (any bird) shows signs of being ill it is ALMOST too late. Plus you have to be aware of Murphy's Law. Animals and kids get sick in the middle of the night or on weekends when it could be difficult to get medication.

Don't use the Tylan unless they are sick. Mix 1/2 teaspoon with 1/2 gallon water. Make sure this is the only water they have and make fresh batch everyday for 7 days. Tylan is odd to mix. You have to add the water to the Tylan and not the Tylan to the water. I put the powder in a small dry jar and then add some of the water from the 1/2 gallon. Cover and shake well. Add that to the remaining water and stir.

Symptoms of CRD are lethargy, closed eyes or 1/2 closed eyes, not eating, coughing, gurgling,swollen face and frothy eyes and reduction in egg production. If you do have to use the Tylan you have to throw away the eggs for 2 weeks after you stop the treatment. I usually scramble some and give it right back to the chickens to eat.

Thank you for the input! Yes I do have Tylan but I have the injectable one, and I also have Aureomycin powder.

So basically now I have to just wait to see if they get more symtoms? Man I hope I'm just being paranoid!!!
barnie.gif

Chef

Your welcome! I don't know the dosage and frequency of the Tylan injectable or Aureomycin powder. If you know fantastic! If not find out before tonight. Murphy will be lurking.

Last week we had a chicken with the gurgly sound. So, we used the Tylan 50 injectible for 3 days and she is good as new.

We lost one chicken over a year ago because I did not have Tylan, and she did not respond to the powered antibiotics. So, now we use VetRx for 3 days, if no improvement, then use the Tylan. So far, this has worked for us.

She is a banty phoenix, so we used .15 cc. Most banty's can have .25cc and standards get .50cc. But you might want to double check on those doses.

Good luck!

mine are doing this aswell im pretty sure its the dust because i sneeze in there and they only have that problem in the coop and not the run the coop is very dusty im not to worried i dont think i should be but if it progresses i def will have to get tylan

No its more of a cough which is why I changed the heading. Sounds like they are trying to clear their throat. It seems like when they make this sound they start like chewing as if eating. Thanks.

Chef

Sorry to hear the probs. Glad to see someone knows whats going on with mine. I have talked with our local TSC (a degreed poultry mgmt person works there), I've talked to feed stores, our co-op and lots of vets...no one knew what I was talking about. Universally I got the same response: "If the only symptom you have is a gurgle-like cough/sneeze slowly spreading through the flock with no other symptoms, they are fine"! I knew it was hodge-podge. The books I read basically implied that the best cure would be an axe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! Oh and to boot, no one at any of those places sells or can even order poultry vaccines!! The co-op actually laughed AT me for even asking!!! I must live in the stone ages...

At any rate, thank you to those of you willing to take the time and help us out with your tried and true experience. This is the first time I have had hope in 3 weeks! I certainly was not excited about my other options.

I do have a question though about injectable tylan 50...How exactly does one go about injecting 24 chickens while on a python squeeze of a budget???? I know there are repeater syringes, but geesh they're high to get and use. Any other suggestions?

nuts4chicks, Tylan 50 injectible and the 3/4 inch 22 gauge syringes are cheap on jefferslivestock.com. That's where I ordered mine from. I recommend the powder form (a friend of mine has had better results with this) but it's pretty expensive. Get some VetRx too and use that around the nose with a qtip if they get crusty.

For the record, my co-op and vet laughed at me too for trying to treat chickens
somad.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom