Penguin posture but NO OTHER SYMPTOMS

Katiewitt20

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2024
For over a week now, my 5 month old black australorp has been waddling like a penguin and standing straight up with her tail touching the ground most of the time. I took her to the vet on Monday 2/26...she was not egg bound, was negative for worms, but did display some mouth breathing while at the vet and on/off the rest of that day. No cough/discharge/wheezing/lameness, etc. They said she maybe had some mild inflammation to the left ovary, but otherwise seemed like a healthy bird upon assessment. She has consistently been eating/drinking/poooping like normal, and did just start laying eggs on Tuesday 2/27. She has laid 2 eggs total so far and both looked completely normal in size/shape/shell. No one else in my 20 bird flock are acting different. I have isolated her in a dog crate in my house since Monday after the vet with no change in behavior. She is very vocal and wants to be back out with her flock, but I fear the roosters will peck on her and mate often and further bother whatever is going on.
I have talked to a few of my friends with chickens and no one has experienced this --- pleaseeee help.

What is going on and what do I do with her???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 7.57.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 7.57.02 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
I don't think chickens have left/right ovaries. It's just a big clump. Any swellings between the legs or under the vent?
Ok yes, I guess the veteranarian didnt say 'left ovary' just 'left sided inflammation' when she did a manual rectal exam. It doesnt feel overly swollen and her vent looks normal

I don't study anything health-related but I know penguin-walking is caused by pain somewhere close to the vent or directly in the vent.
I wonder if this could be related to her recently coming to be laying eggs? It started about a week before her first egg, but still continues.

I wonder if this could be related to her recently coming to be laying eggs? It started about a week before her first egg, but still continues.
Have you seen any blood on her eggs, or have you cracked one of her eggs open to see if there is blood inside of it?

Do you keep any species of waterfowl with your chickens, including ducks and geese? If waterfowl mates with a landfowl hen, they will kill the hen due to difference in organs.

Have you seen any blood on her eggs, or have you cracked one of her eggs open to see if there is blood inside of it?

Do you keep any species of waterfowl with your chickens, including ducks and geese? If waterfowl mates with a landfowl hen, they will kill the hen due to difference in organs.
Her eggs look completely normal but I have not cracked them open, they are now mixed with other eggs so I cant tell which one would be hers but I will crack open the next one she lays.
We do not keep any other waterfowl animals, only chickens!

Back
Top Bottom