Kinds of predators

The breach was not a tear. I have wire and then some more wire on that. Some of the newest wire was not tacked down good enough and it made a crack between the wires that I didn't know about. Unless there is another crack or hole somewhere that should be it. I will show you a photos when I can get to it. My pen is actually a covered yard and has had repairs over the years. It has a vinyl top (doubled) and 2 large birch trees are growing through the top. I checked those, too. The only thing that has ever gotten in is a snake and I've had a few. Lost a few chickens like that but mostly they take eggs.
More later....

In our experience we thought when we lost chicks out of a dog crate that the predator had to slip inside the one inch slats, eat his fill, and slip out again . More sad experience taught us that the predators need not climb through the gaps in the wire or the slats in the dog crate . They need merely to place a paw inside, scare the chicks, chickens , ducklings or ducks and take out pieces of poultry, one bite at a time. So if you are sure your coop is tight, look again.

It is an ongoing battle to keep your flock safe. Fight the good fight ...

After doing a bit of research I believe it could have been a weasel after all. Waiting patiently on my trap to come.

Here are some photos of my chicken yard. It's very old now but I try to keep inspecting it, especially after what happened. You will see that 2 river birch trees that I planted about 6 years ago grew up and went through the top wire after I gave up keeping them trimmed. It's been a good pen and only snakes have ever gotten in til now.

In the back corner they have a tall shelter with a high roost for sleeping and bad weather. Tonight the little rooster who lost his girls finally went up on the roost without being put there.
In the photos you will see how the wires panels are pieced together and the one that had a gap was repaired with a small piece of wire.

Attachments

• back corner.jpg
    back corner.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 13
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 13
  • inside view with birch.jpg
    inside view with birch.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
  • wire repair.jpg
    wire repair.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 13
  • wire seam.jpg
    wire seam.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 13
I believe it could have been a weasel after all. Waiting patiently on my trap .
If it is a weasel, and you manage to trap it, you might consider contacting scdnr. Since they are rare in South Carolina, and especially outside the Piedmont, they like to keep information like this. Also Google weasel traps. As I said before, the Trap will need to be partially buried and fully camouflaged because otherwise, the experts say they will not go inside. Good luck with whatever it is. Oh by the way. I'm sure you would have mentioned this, but for any animal to squeeze between two pieces of wire there is often at least a few Telltale hairs left behind. Did you see, or were you looking for any hairs snagged in The Wire? Super helpful for identification purposes.

Chickens taste good to everyone. Raccoons, fox, owls, hawks, weasels, rats, snakes, bear, humans, cats, dogs...if it eats meat it eats chickens.
Welcome Back :welcome :frow I'll add a few predators I have dealt with in addition to the other mentioned, coyotes, bobcat, possums, skunks and eagles. Luckily we don't have weasels here. Do you have a game camera you can put up. I know a camera won't catch the predator but then at least you will know what you're dealing with. Good luck...

When I was recently in SC I saw an otter.
Watched a YouTube video of an otter eating a Snapping Turtle.
You said you have a pond.

Otter.

Sorce

Yes, we have a pond a good ways from the house but I doubt an otter would go that far away from a pond that is full of delicious fish.

About the predator list: We've had bobcats, skunks, possum, snakes, hawks, eagles, you name it. Even had signs of a black bear. But very few can get into this fenced in yard. Until the other night, nothing but snakes.

Back
Top Bottom