Kitchen scraps

I would never feed rotting food to my chickens or plain milk.

However I feed yogurt daily. All of my girls love it. There is no lactose, because it's fermented away. I make it by the half gallon once or twice per week.

Hey all I seen Justin Rhodes feeding his flock a wide diet of spoiled milk lots of kitchen scraps and fermented feed is that safe
Only personal from experience, we know chickens will eat most anything with not everything being in their best interest, that being said a diet of premium grade feed is what they should have beyond free ranging. I stopped with the table scraps as it gets the attention of predators, coons in particular. I feed Purina layena pellets with omega 3. Yes it is expensive, however its the health of the flock and the quality of the eggs that count.

Only personal from experience, we know chickens will eat most anything with not everything being in their best interest, that being said a diet of premium grade feed is what they should have beyond free ranging. I stopped with the table scraps as it gets the attention of predators, coons in particular. I feed Purina layena pellets with omega 3. Yes it is expensive, however its the health of the flock and the quality of the eggs that count.
I have never understood where potato peelings get such a bad rap. All my chickens for a half century have been fed them without issues. I do avoid green potatoes but finding them is like seeing a sasquatch anyway, very rare. As for milk, my grandpa Shook gave his game/bantam/mixes fresh milk from his Guernsey cow every day and they remain the most beautiful, healthy chickens that I have ever seen. And besides free ranging, the only feed they got was scratch feed he threw on the ground behind the barn.

I have never understood where potato peelings get such a bad rap. All my chickens for a half century have been fed them without issues. I do avoid green potatoes but finding them is like seeing a sasquatch anyway, very rare. As for milk, my grandpa Shook gave his game/bantam/mixes fresh milk from his Guernsey cow every day and they remain the most beautiful, healthy chickens that I have ever seen. And besides free ranging, the only feed they got was scratch feed he threw on the ground behind the barn.

The potato peel thing is people not understanding the green potato thing. I agree that you see one of those rarely if ever.

Dairy farmers used to give the leftover skim to chickens and pigs back in the day.

There is one big difference between modern chickens and grandpa’s though. Grandpa’s prize layer might have laid 100 eggs a year. A production hen now will lay 250-300. So, they DO have additional nutritional requirements. Of course, if you’re aware of this, there’s more than one way to meet those requirements.

You might want to consider buying regular pellets and supplementing with flax seed. It's cheap and it's what they add to make it omega 3 feed. It will up the omega 3 in both the chicken's meat and eggs. And my chicken love it.

Feeding kitchen scraps to chickens illegal in many parts of Europe now.
Some may rail against the interfering state at this point, or even go the 'who gives a toss about what happens in Europe.'
Before getting on any particular soap box it's worth investigating why it's been made illegal and thinking a bit about the current Covid crisis and how viruses are transmitted.

Feeding kitchen scraps to chickens illegal in many parts of Europe now.
Some may rail against the interfering state at this point, or even go the 'who gives a toss about what happens in Europe.'
Before getting on any particular soap box it's worth investigating why it's been made illegal and thinking a bit about the current Covid crisis and how viruses are transmitted.

Many of the laws in Europe stem from the “mad cow” epidemic.

That being said...based on a layman’s understanding of how viruses spread (I love that everyone is an amateur epidemiologist these days), I don’t see how feeding food waste to a chicken would be any more likely to give you COVID than buying and consuming food at the grocery store.

“Airborne droplets and some survival on surfaces” is my understanding of how viruses spread. I’ve read no claims that it can pass through a chicken via eggs.

So, based on that, I’d happily endorse “not feeding any food waste that someone recently sneezed on to chickens”.:D

Many of the laws in Europe stem from the “mad cow” epidemic.

That being said...based on a layman’s understanding of how viruses spread (I love that everyone is an amateur epidemiologist these days), I don’t see how feeding food waste to a chicken would be any more likely to give you COVID than buying and consuming food at the grocery store.

“Airborne droplets and some survival on surfaces” is my understanding of how viruses spread. I’ve read no claims that it can pass through a chicken via eggs.

So, based on that, I’d happily endorse “not feeding any food waste that someone recently sneezed on to chickens”.:D
You're very funny.
(where's that ignore button)

Back
Top Bottom