Kittens sucking on each other...

warmfuzzies

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
OK my bottle kittens are sucking on each other's genitals.
hu.gif
I don't know if this is bad, but today I noticed that one is all red and swollen. I don't want to separate them because they get lonely. Can I put some kind of diaper on them? But I was really wanting to start litter box training them. Should I worry about this or do all kittens do this? I never really paid that much attention...
roll.png

I think I would try to cover them up somehow. If they're doing that then my guess is they're attempting to feed but aren't quite getting it right.....
roll.png
Are you feeding them enough?

I'm about to "inherit" 4 little kittens that barely have their eyes open.

It's normal. I've raised bunches and they all do it. It's not a hunger thing (as far as I can tell) but more of a comfort - sort of a pacifier....
How old are the kittens? You could TRY to make some sort of diaper out of vet wrap (sitcks to itself, not to hair) as long as you're SURE that it's not squeezing them. Or - you might want to check with you vet about something like bitter apple. When I was little (a VERY VERY long time ago) I remember my Mom putting something on my sister's thumb to make her stop sucking it.... wonder if they still make something like that?????

Thanks.
smile.png
I know it's not from hunger, it is just because they don't get their sucking needs fulfilled well from a bottle. I am glad to know that it is normal and there should be no long-term effects. I also thought about trying vasoline or something. It would help heal it and I would think it would be pretty yucky.

Years ago I took two 5 week old kittens whose mom had been run over by a car. At the time I had an older male cat, and the kittens would cuddle up with him, get a little wad of his hair in their mouths, and they would suck away for hours. We assumed it was just a comfort thing, and since Wally didn't seem to mind we let them go at it.
I gave away one of the kittens, but even into adulthood the remaining one would occasionally cuddle up with Wally and start sucking on his fur. Generally he would choose to do this when there was company over and we'd have to try to explain what was going on...

This might be a dumb question, but since I don't know anything about how old they are, when you got them, how you are caring for them, etc. I must ask. You do (or did, if they are older) take a warm cloth and rub them to get them to urinate right?

I didn't have to do that because they were almost 4 weeks old when the mama left them and they were doing it on their own. They do urinate whenever I wash them up though.
smile.png
They have to get baths a lot because they are very messy.

Last edited:
My 6 year old siamese mix came to me as an 8 week old. When I first got him he would sneak up on the bed at night and suck on my ear.
sickbyc.gif
Aside from being slobbery, it was also LOUD! I finally got him switched over to my thumb. To this day he still comes up, sits on my chest and head butts my hand until he can get to my thumb. I think he finds it comforting. I think it's sweet, so I let him do it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom