LA-200 Turned Black

DawnLee

Chirping
Jul 15, 2022
I had a bottle of LA-200 that I opened last year. It doesn't expire until next month. I drew up a dose today and the liquid looked like black ink! Is it normal for it to go bad and turn black before the expiration?

I don't know the answer. I'd ask a vet or call/write the manufacturer.
It doesn't sound right. Under what conditions is it stored? Temperature and light.

I don't know the answer. I'd ask a vet or call/write the manufacturer.
It doesn't sound right. Under what conditions is it stored? Temperature and light.
I had it in my dark pantry which is a little cooler than the rest of my house. I will have to call the manufacturer. Thanks.

I wouldn't use any medication that has changed color, consistency, or smell. Liquids particularly tend to have shorter shelf lives. Even a tiny bit of contamination, or a short period of temperature change, could cause it to go bad early. Lots of variables.

I had a bottle of LA-200 that I opened last year. It doesn't expire until next month. I drew up a dose today and the liquid looked like black ink! Is it normal for it to go bad and turn black before the expiration?
UPDATE

I didn't use it, of course. I did open a new bottle. The med was a clear yellow. I looked at the fine print and found it stated to use within the first 28 days! Wow, what a waste!!!

UPDATE

I didn't use it, of course. I did open a new bottle. The med was a clear yellow. I looked at the fine print and found it stated to use within the first 28 days! Wow, what a waste!!!

There are a lot of liquid medications that have to be used up pretty quickly. So for us backyard keepers that can often mean a lot of waste. I always opt for pill or capsule form when it's available, but many don't come that way. Pills and capsules are often good long after the printed expiration date if they are stored properly. But it's always better safe than sorry. Some medications may just lose their effectiveness with age, but some can break down into other compounds that are harmful, or can just spoil. So if something doesn't look or smell right, I would always err on the side of caution.

There are a lot of liquid medications that have to be used up pretty quickly. So for us backyard keepers that can often mean a lot of waste. I always opt for pill or capsule form when it's available, but many don't come that way. Pills and capsules are often good long after the printed expiration date if they are stored properly. But it's always better safe than sorry. Some medications may just lose their effectiveness with age, but some can break down into other compounds that are harmful, or can just spoil. So if something doesn't look or smell right, I would always err on the side of caution.
Yes, I did not use it. I did have another unopened one which I did end up using. I also found the fine print and it stated to use within 28 days! What waste! Now, this new bottle will more than likely be thrown out. I, like many others, stocked up before the change in requiring a Rx. Now, much of what I have will just go to waste.

I feel your pain! I bought tetanus this year for one bull calf for castration, had to waste a lot since we were only doing one calf. Plus the shipping on a refrigerated vaccine. Still cost less than a vet call!

Back
Top Bottom