labored breathing - egg bound? - swollen abdomen

Molting is often when a reproductive malfunction starts, for sure. Have had that happen on several occasions as they were coming out of molt. It's often with the older ones, too, that they seem to become depleted and their bodies just can't kickstart the egg laying process properly again.

Thanks, speckledhen. That's useful information and will help me be aware during molts to come. My hen who died was a heavy layer; poor thing, not much reward for all the eggs she gave. Anything helpful diet-wise that would help molting transitions?

Yes, thanks speckledhen!

I've been looking for supplements for hens during molting today in hopes that will help my girl after I drain her. (Haven't done it yet... was hoping to find a youtube video to show me EXACTLY where to stick her... but haven't yet... and well, I don't think I could do it myself so I'm waiting on my husband to get home to help hold her!).

Yep... nervous wreck but it has to be done. I am so upset at my self that it took me so long (9 days) to figure out what is wrong with her because she's been in pain for that long.

I am still doing the penicillin injections but not the warm baths since she is not eggbound.

I do have a question. I have oyster shell and grit in their coop/run. They can have all they want at will. How do I know they are getting enough? Omelet seems to have very soft shelled eggs (when she was last laying). Is there a calcium injection I could give her or some sort of calcium supplement? Maybe that's all she needs to help prevent all this from happening again (I know... grasping.... but it could help!)

Thanks DAWN

UPDATE 10:37pm: My husband doesn't want me to tap her abdomen until the vet can show me how so the vet will be at our house tomorrow to check on Omelet and show me how to properly drain her abdomen (since well, I might be doing this more than once!). He's also going to look at Peep's feet and Snow's last healing wound from the hawk attack over a month ago.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know what the vet said.

Omelet's tummy does seem a bit larger but he feels a very large egg in there but way at the bottom. I am to continue the penicillin injections, warm baths, massages and he gave me a script for a laxative. If she's not better... xrays and possible surgery if the egg doesn't move. So... I'm glad I didn't tap her abdomen!

With my bumble foot Peep - it's just the beginning. Keep doing the foot soaks. No antibiotics yet. Watch it.

With my February 16th hawk attack Snow White, that still has one remaining wound to heal up - looks great!!! Keep doing what I'm doing!

He came to our house. He was awesome!!!

Dawn

So glad you got a diagnose hope all goes well and thank you for posting because I am a newbie and reading these posts will help if anything ever arises.

Good luck with it all and hugs

I'm not sure what a laxative will do for the oviduct. Doesn't make sense to me. Is he an avian vet or just a regular vet?

I once had a hen with a huge egg we could feel, hard as a rock. The problem was that it was no longer in the oviduct, but had dropped into the abdomen because it had another egg inside it and was too large to pass through at all. An egg in the abdomen is a death sentence without surgery, but hens usually don't survive surgery anyway, seems to me.

The best defense against internal laying is probably get away from bad stock entirely. Good quality breeder stock, and I do mean breeder, not just propagator of hatchery stock, seems to have better genetics, overall. They are not immune, of course, but you'll see much less of it with better genetics. My good quality Orpingtons and Ameraucanas have not had any reproductive issues whatsoever. Some are over 5 years old and still laying.

Last edited:
Hi ange92040,

Thanks for asking!

Omelet is still hanging in there!
I have discontinued the penicillin because I think I read somewhere that you should only give it for 7 days (and well, I ran out of syringes... but I can go buy more if you think I need to continue it!).
I am still giving her a warm bath, massaging her tummy, and blow drying her but I only do that in the mornings and in the evenings instead of 3 times a day. She does look beautiful after I blow dry her!
She is going outside every day to forage with her sisters (she spends the night in my family room). She is sassy and still has her same spot on the pecking order (#3 out of 14!).
I am still giving her the laxative (which she seems to like the flavor... she's a different bird LOL).Her poop looks great!
She is still eating and drinking.
She still seems to have labored breathing some... but it is most noticeable when she is sitting down.

We have decided against the xrays and surgery. We just can't afford it right now. =(

speckledhen -
The vet is a regular vet but he grew up with chickens in Spain. The laxative seems to make her feel better some what because she came running to me today when I went outside with more treats (seeds and eggs). That's interesting about the egg dropping in the abdomen because her egg is sitting low. How long could she last like that? This all started 14 days ago. I am hoping this isn't what is wrong with her.

Also - she's one of my first 6 from the Easter Bunny (6 kids - 6 chicks!). They were freebies and adorable. I tried to get eggs (Russian Orloffs!) recently from a breeder but I failed with my incubator (Havo-bator 1602N) and I am afraid to try again. One day I will get more girls from a breeder but for right now, I just want to get my girls healthy!

Thanks all for EVERYTHING!

Dawn

Last edited:
Thanks for the update I'm glad she's still hanging in there. I wish I had some advice for you but I am still a newbie at this only have owned our 4 hens for two weeks now, I did own some when I was younger but my Dad was the one that dealt with any problems and he said he never had a problem like yours. She sounds like a cutie, I'm sure we all would like to see a picture of her.

Hi guys. She is still the same. Eating and drinking fine. Pooping great. No eggs. Foraging with her sisters fine. I'm still bathing her, blow drying her, and giving her laxatives. It's been 3 weeks since her first symptoms of mouth breathing was noted.

Here's pictures ange92040! (coloring off a bit)

Outside.

Starting her bath.

Her bath face! (note the scrambled eggs on her beak!)

Back
Top Bottom