labored breathing - egg bound? - swollen abdomen

It could possibly be egg yolk peritonitis. there abdomens can get so full of ascities (fluid) that it can actually make its way to the chest and that will cause panting and labored breathing. chickens do not have a diaphragm that seperates the chest cavity from the abnominal cavity.

Love the bath face. Ever think she may be still doing it still because she is loving all the attention your giving her? jk
lau.gif
I know I would fake it if I was getting to be inside and taking baths and being blow dried while my sisters are outside,but she is a cutie. I have one that pants but only once in a while and I think its because she is hot. Is there a difference pant between hot and sick?

Hi guys. She is still the same. Eating and drinking fine. Pooping great. No eggs. Foraging with her sisters fine. I'm still bathing her, blow drying her, and giving her laxatives. It's been 3 weeks since her first symptoms of mouth breathing was noted.

Here's pictures ange92040! (coloring off a bit)

Outside.

Starting her bath.

Her bath face! (note the scrambled eggs on her beak!)

It could possibly be egg yolk peritonitis. there abdomens can get so full of ascities (fluid) that it can actually make its way to the chest and that will cause panting and labored breathing. chickens do not have a diaphragm that seperates the chest cavity from the abnominal cavity.

That was one of our diagnosis we came up with but we never drained her abdomen.She was on IM Pennicillin for a week. Her tummy doesn't feel as extended anymore. The vet said he thought he felt an egg (or something hard) in there but it was sitting low. Who knows. I will just continue her treatments and hope she gets better!

Love the bath face. Ever think she may be still doing it still because she is loving all the attention your giving her? jk
lau.gif
I know I would fake it if I was getting to be inside and taking baths and being blow dried while my sisters are outside,but she is a cutie. I have one that pants but only once in a while and I think its because she is hot. Is there a difference pant between hot and sick?

LOL... I wish she was doing it just to get those warm baths and massages! There isn't really a difference in the panting from heat or pain. This isn't heat though. She was even doing it during the cold front that came through. She is acting slower than usual but she is still eating, drinking and pooping!

4 week update on my 3 year old golden comet hen named Omelet.

• Her abdomen has enlarged again.
  • Her breathing has gotten heavy again
  • She walks slower than normal and she's doing the "dirty diaper walk"... if you understand that!

• She has not laid an egg.
  • She is still eating and drinking, but not as vigorous. She is thinner.
  • Her poo still looks good.

• I am still giving her warm bath soaks, massaging her abdomen, and blow drying her twice a day. I give her a bath at bedtime and she spends the night indoors. She gets up in the morning for another bath, and then she spends the day outside with her sisters.
  • I am still giving her .4ml laxative by mouth twice a day.
  • I am still grinding her food and feeding her eggs (though she eats pellets outside and forages with her sisters... it just makes me feel better!)

• It's been 2 weeks since her last penicillin injection so I am starting her back on it. If her abdomen doesn't go down, I will tap it.

That's it. If you have any other suggestions, please, PLEASE I BEG YOU, let me know.

Dawn

maybe you can find another vet that could help you? We have ferrets and no vet around here take them but I called one that did and I explained our problem and how far away we were over two hrs and he was very nice and was able to give a general idea of what he thought was wrong and how to help. Since then we have found one close by who takes ferrets

Back
Top Bottom