Laced Wyandotte genetics

do you have room to grow them the old fashion way: they eat what they find themselves with a handful feed from us? I can do that and I will. for the first 2-3 weeks they do not eat a lot. I also prefer taste of home grown chicken and I love chicken broth.
No, I don't have room for that. We do have a place on the farm where I put fully grown roosters and hens I'm not actively breeding from, but that I don't want to get rid of, but when I've put younger birds down there they get eaten by hawks. I do go throw them a handful now and then, and they do well free ranging. I have done an experiment comparing the kill weight to one rooster that did survive down there to one i fed every day and there was a notable difference is carcass weight though. They weren't starving but were much much leaner since they had to free range and find their own food.

....I know i will get golden laced pullets and silver laced boys but the boys will carry gold. I don't mind this, as i plan to cull the boys on hatching day.....
What?
I have been breeding Wyandottes for a very long time and I must admit that this is the first time I have heard of what you wrote!
I am almost certain that the Wyandottes are not sex-linked and that their gender cannot be determined based on their color.
Maybe I'm wrong, because I never tried it with the Wyandottes, but I tried what you wrote with the Sebrights.
I mixed silver-laced and gold-laced Sebright to get the "Lemon" color and in that mix I got very bad males and females (I mean the general appearance of the colors).
Those bad colors were properly distributed on males and females in the first F1 generation. The F2 and F3 generations still had bad coloring and there was no sign of sexlinking. I noticed a high percentage of hatched roosters.
But that's my experience with the Sebrights, I haven't tried it with the Wyandottes.

Personally, I find it quite easy to tell the sex of chicks Wyandottes.
It's quite easy to vent-sex them, the little roosters have thicker legs, they hold their heads proudly and are the first in everything, they behave dominantly from day one.
20200906_075934.jpg
20201208_165803.jpg
20201208_165827.jpg

What?
I have been breeding Wyandottes for a very long time and I must admit that this is the first time I have heard of what you wrote!
I am almost certain that the Wyandottes are not sex-linked and that their gender cannot be determined based on their color.
Maybe I'm wrong, because I never tried it with the Wyandottes, but I tried what you wrote with the Sebrights.
I mixed silver-laced and gold-laced Sebright to get the "Lemon" color and in that mix I got very bad males and females (I mean the general appearance of the colors).
Those bad colors were properly distributed on males and females in the first F1 generation. The F2 and F3 generations still had bad coloring and there was no sign of sexlinking. I noticed a high percentage of hatched roosters.
But that's my experience with the Sebrights, I haven't tried it with the Wyandottes.

It's quite easy to vent-sex them, the little roosters have thicker legs, they hold their heads proudly and are the first in everything, they behave dominantly from day one.View attachment 3327776View attachment 3327777View attachment 3327778
Wow, this is really interesting. I have heard and read many times about how gold laced roosters mated ro silver laced hens will make a sex link chick. You can do this with other gold silver pairs to make a sex link but the babies are hybrids. But with wyandottes they would still be wyandottes, so I am just trying to confirm if i can do this and the hens as gold laced and call them pure.

What?

It's quite easy to vent-sex them, the little roosters have thicker legs, they hold their heads proudly and are the first in everything, they behave dominantly from day one.View attachment 3327776View attachment 3327777View attachment 3327778
Crossing gold and silver one way creates sexlinks and the other doesn't

Wow, this is really interesting. I have heard and read many times about how gold laced roosters mated ro silver laced hens will make a sex link chick. You can do this with other gold silver pairs to make a sex link but the babies are hybrids. But with wyandottes they would still be wyandottes, so I am just trying to confirm if i can do this and the hens as gold laced and call them pure.
They will still be purebred, but they will not be in the default standard of perfection. You will have problems with the color that will be "diluted" (I don't know how to correctly write that expression in English, but the colors will not be intense, even if they are silver or gold).

There are many variations of laced colors in Wyandotte and they are created from the basic silver and gold colors. But these are only colors, nothing to do with sexlinking!

A long time ago, I bought a "silver laced wyandotte" from a breeder, later I found out that he mixed several colors, in fact his chickens were released free range and they mated with each other, different colors, in blood relations..... the result was this (see picture), lots of different colors, no traces of sexlink, very sick chickens.
I had no luck with those chickens in raising their offspring. They had a lot of hidden genes that caused a lot of problems in coloring. The black border around the feathers (laced) was very bad, broken, irregular....
I repeat, I didn't notice any color differences between males and females!
20200725_160322.jpg
Here you can see two gold laced male and female,product of silver laced and gold laced.
Shure,hen have intense red coulor,but i have also look like roosters(no pic.sorry)
20200819_141742.jpg
Wtf is this :)?
20200903_190316.jpg
20200903_190353.jpg

They will still be purebred, but they will not be in the default standard of perfection. You will have problems with the color that will be "diluted" (I don't know how to correctly write that expression in English, but the colors will not be intense, even if they are silver or gold).

There are many variations of laced colors in Wyandotte and they are created from the basic silver and gold colors. But these are only colors, nothing to do with sexlinking!

A long time ago, I bought a "silver laced wyandotte" from a breeder, later I found out that he mixed several colors, in fact his chickens were released free range and they mated with each other, different colors, in blood relations..... the result was this (see picture), lots of different colors, no traces of sexlink, very sick chickens.
I had no luck with those chickens in raising their offspring. They had a lot of hidden genes that caused a lot of problems in coloring. The black border around the feathers (laced) was very bad, broken, irregular....
I repeat, I didn't notice any color differences between males and females!View attachment 3327848Here you can see two gold laced male and female,product of silver laced and gold laced.
Shure,hen have intense red coulor,but i have also look like roosters(no pic.sorry)
View attachment 3327849Wtf is this :)?View attachment 3327850View attachment 3327851
I agree that the golds from the crossing might not have SOP color intensity, but silver and gold and definitely caused by a sexlinked gene.
You don’t seem to understand the difference between sexlinkage and autosexing. Sexlinkage only works from one particular cross, not crossing willy nilly.
Also, the Wyandottes you have actually seem fine to me. The red ones just have the mahogany gene.

What?

only F1 generation is sex linked.

I agree that the golds from the crossing might not have SOP color intensity, but silver and gold and definitely caused by a sexlinked gene.
You don’t seem to understand the difference between sexlinkage and autosexing. Sexlinkage only works from one particular cross, not crossing willy nilly.
Also, the Wyandottes you have actually seem fine to me. The red ones just have the mahogany gene.
I don't seem to really understand.
I apologize for that!
Autosexing - I'm thinking about the markings in colors or in chickens, which clearly distinguish males from females.

Back
Top Bottom