Lady Amhearst pheasants

flyingmonkeypoop

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Deer Park Washington
Just wondering who all has lady amhearst pheasants. I will be picking up a trio sometime this week. From what I have read they can stand cold weather, they are easy to care for, easy for beginners, and very pretty.
Does anyone have pics of their setups? I am sure the setup would be similar to goldens seeing that they are both in the same family of ruffed pheasants. How much cover will they need? What about nesting, will they nest in daylillies or a nest box? Also when do they normally start laying?

Guess I should answer the rest of your questions ahe?They are very colorful birds and can handle the winter months with no problems.They do need a place to get out of the drafts.I always poly my entire pen for the winter.It's not needed but I do more for myself then the birds.I give all my birds a bushel basket a christmas tree(which doesn't last long) and a piece of plywood leaning on the side of the pen.This way the can choose their own place to nest.Amherst usually nest in a corner ,but some do use a box.My pesn are 6x12x6 it have a house picthed roof,so the middle is about 7' high.I srtongly believe in hardware cloth for every inch of the pen,including the roof.The roof is covered year round with construction tarp.They are very easy to care for and great birds for a beginner.Is your pair young from this year?You'll enjoy watching them change into their adult plumage which takes 2 years.
In N.H.,Tony.

I dont know what you consider field fence there but around here it is 4 feet high with large squares,too large for pheasants to stay in,here we use it for sheep and goats..I just picked up 2 cocks and 2 hens from a breeder last week,they are about 5 weeks old..

If it is that 2x4 square fencing,they will walk right threw it.Not only will they walk threw it.It makes it much easier for predators to get at your birds.If 1 piece of wire breaks,a coon can just walk right threw and have a meal.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
Field fencing is 2" x 4" wire. I have some 1" chicken wire that I will put up around it just to be safe. The pen is in the main chicken yard, we dont really have any predators but I will do it just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom