Lame chicken after IM injection

Alene5483

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2023
I recently had a hen present with frequent sneezing. Due to respiratory illness appearing in previous flock mates(who all ended up passing from it), I brought her inside to separate her and give her meds. I tried IM injections via her legs(alternating legs each day) of penicillin. By day 3, she was still wheezing and sneezing. I switch over to Tylan 50. Gave injection of that on her leg, she immediately went lame on that leg(left). She had been soooo spunky and lively up until that point regardless of her respiratory condition. Continued with Tylan injections for 7 days but gave via the left breast muscle(same side as lame leg). I only did this because her crop was not full and I didn’t want to chance hitting her crop on the right. Her respiratory infection has actually cleared!!! Holy crap!!! One that finally got better….but, she’s still lame on that left leg 2 weeks later. She won’t even stand on it. No reflexes shown on the toes or leg on that left side. Did I permanently injure her? Anything I can do? I did make her a hammock and she hanging out in that sometimes to get the pressure off of her legs, but I’m wondering if her mobility will ever recover?Video 1Video 2

Attachments

• 601B94AE-FCB8-4EE1-B1C5-E0C59822B1A7.jpeg
    601B94AE-FCB8-4EE1-B1C5-E0C59822B1A7.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 30
  • D9F21548-CF24-4280-8050-51F0794A2CD8.png
    D9F21548-CF24-4280-8050-51F0794A2CD8.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 8874CFAB-C1ED-41C6-9B5A-B7BCC37DFEF5.png
    8874CFAB-C1ED-41C6-9B5A-B7BCC37DFEF5.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens. This is a great place to explore and hang out.
I think you might night lot's of help. Your are in the right place for it.

Welcome to BYC.
Is she unable or unwilling to bear weight on the leg? If you were to try and pull her foot down to the floor, does she offer any amount of resistance to your effort?

No resistance in pulling the leg. Won’t curl her toes around my fingers either.
She does hold the leg up upon standing though so she must have some sort of feeling and control.

Sorry about your lame chicken. Intramuscular injections are usually done in the breast muscle just to the side of the keel bone. When doing them in the leg it is possible to hit the sciatic nerve. Tylan injectable, a cattle medicine, can in some cases cause muscle damage even to cows, and that is why most people give it orally in chickens. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 5 days.

I would hope that your chicken will eventually get some movement and feeling back in the leg. Nerves can heal, but it may not happen. I would gently move it around to keep it limber. Please let us know how she gets along.

Sorry about your lame chicken. Intramuscular injections are usually done in the breast muscle just to the side of the keel bone. When doing them in the leg it is possible to hit the sciatic nerve. Tylan injectable, a cattle medicine, can in some cases cause muscle damage even to cows, and that is why most people give it orally in chickens. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 5 days.

I would hope that your chicken will eventually get some movement and feeling back in the leg. Nerves can heal, but it may not happen. I would gently move it around to keep it limber. Please let us know how she gets along.
x2

I recently had a hen present with frequent sneezing. Due to respiratory illness appearing in previous flock mates(who all ended up passing from it), I brought her inside to separate her and give her meds. I tried IM injections via her legs(alternating legs each day) of penicillin. By day 3, she was still wheezing and sneezing. I switch over to Tylan 50. Gave injection of that on her leg, she immediately went lame on that leg(left). She had been soooo spunky and lively up until that point regardless of her respiratory condition. Continued with Tylan injections for 7 days but gave via the left breast muscle(same side as lame leg). I only did this because her crop was not full and I didn’t want to chance hitting her crop on the right. Her respiratory infection has actually cleared!!! Holy crap!!! One that finally got better….but, she’s still lame on that left leg 2 weeks later. She won’t even stand on it. No reflexes shown on the toes or leg on that left side. Did I permanently injure her? Anything I can do? I did make her a hammock and she hanging out in that sometimes to get the pressure off of her legs, but I’m wondering if her mobility will ever recover?
Welcome to BYC!!

No resistance in pulling the leg. Won’t curl her toes around my fingers either.
She does hold the leg up upon standing though so she must have some sort of feeling and control.
I posted some photos in my original post. I couldn’t figure out how to post a video on here.

Back
Top Bottom