Lame hen went blind?

I use a syringe (without needle) and drop 2 ml into their mouths under his tongue or to the side of their beak one daily. You have to be careful that they don't aspirate it. I did this for only 3 days, and my little hen started standing up on her own. I would continent doses for quite a while because of your hens condition. You can give it to chickens in their water as well. My Polish are difficult and act lame often so, I've decided to give it to them in their water each time I clean and fill it. You only have to put 1 t. in a gallon. This YouTube subscription is the very best for info. She's fantastic with years and years of experience.

Thank you! (and for the video, I watched it , you are right, it was helpful)

I ordered the poultry cell, the rooster booster she recommended in the video, and I found a B-12 by the same manufacturer.

Meanwhile... Until it arrives I opened a human B-complex capsule I had on hand, but it has very little B-12 in it. I dissolved it and am including it into her tube feeding a little at a time. I am aiming to have her take one per 24hrs, until the real meds arrive.

Part of me wanted her to suddenly shake herself off and run out to the garden after the first dose... But I know at best I will see a little progress in a few days. I hope so... I walk around the house with her in my arms because she can't seem to find a comfortable position in her basket no matter how many rolled up t-shirts I make into position cushions. Poor dear... When I need my arms back I sit my spouse in a chair with something to do (like watch Netflix) and put her in his arms.
IMG_20230723_200744_281.jpg

Awwww..... you are such a sweet chicken mommy!! I hope it does work, too! It was a remarkable recovery for my little Polish hen. I woke up expecting to see her passed on. I was shocked to find her standing. I had her on Nutri-drench for two weeks. No improvement! I was beside myself until I watched the YouTube video.

Awwww..... you are such a sweet chicken mommy!! I hope it does work, too! It was a remarkable recovery for my little Polish hen. I woke up expecting to see her passed on. I was shocked to find her standing. I had her on Nutri-drench for two weeks. No improvement! I was beside myself until I watched the YouTube video.
the poultry cell and the b-12 just arrived.

Do you give it straight or do you mix it with anything? (like water?) to feed it.

I am wondering if I should give both at the same time or stagger them....

thanks for being out there :) it makes all the difference in the world to have someone who has been there and had a happy ending. (even if that does not guarantee anything, it helps)

the poultry cell and the b-12 just arrived.

Do you give it straight or do you mix it with anything? (like water?) to feed it.

I am wondering if I should give both at the same time or stagger them....

thanks for being out there :) it makes all the difference in the world to have someone who has been there and had a happy ending. (even if that does not guarantee anything, it helps)
I gave the Poultry Cell straight and did mix it in the water, too. I didn't give straight B12 so I'm not sure of the dosage. Don't give up. My Polish was down for 3 weeks. I was giving Nutridrench for two of those weeks. It gave her more strength but only enough to raise her head to eat. It was the Poultry Cell and scrambled eggs that really helped. If your hen has been down for a long time, this will take some time to build up in her system. Are her toes curled?

I gave the Poultry Cell straight and did mix it in the water, too. I didn't give straight B12 so I'm not sure of the dosage. Don't give up. My Polish was down for 3 weeks. I was giving Nutridrench for two of those weeks. It gave her more strength but only enough to raise her head to eat. It was the Poultry Cell and scrambled eggs that really helped. If your hen has been down for a long time, this will take some time to build up in her system. Are her toes curled?
her legs were stiff and unmoving for a while (a week at most), but since then she has been able to 'pedal' for example when she is suspended (when you hold her up like a serving platter to move or pick her up) and she wants to adjust her position, or when I move her pillows and she wants to change her position on them. When her legs were unmoving she had enough overall strength to use her wings to adjust herself, but now she doesn't have the strength. She wiggles and I keep moving the pillows and position until she stops. (shows she is comfy)

I massage the muscle part of her thighs to help with the circulation. I put some 'pick-no-more' on the scales of her legs because the cinnamon and cayenne mixed in with the aloevera might help circulation. She dislikes this (I put it on my hand where I had a fresh cut and it does not burn) I think it is the 'gel feeling' on her legs she dislikes. When I do it she shows her dislike by pedalling her legs. She hates it, but I consider it physio therapy when she moves, so I pick her up and have her pedal around a little bit several times a day. (I don't do the cream much, I did it twice, it helped clean her scales a little, but didn't seem to do anything else)

I gave her 2ml of each of the meds in a syringe, with a little water to help her hydrate....

all the other chickens come into the kitchen to sit on the floor and look at her. I don't know if they are visiting her or trying to get in on her special snacks ;) It is hard to tell what motivates a hen sometimes... I will assume they are being concerned and loving, but I have sisters, and I am not sure this is all kindness-and-concern.

Last edited:
her legs were stiff and unmoving for a while (a week at most), but since then she has been able to 'pedal' for example when she is suspended (when you hold her up like a serving platter to move or pick her up) and she wants to adjust her position, or when I move her pillows and she wants to change her position on them. When her legs were unmoving she had enough overall strength to use her wings to adjust herself, but now she doesn't have the strength. She wiggles and I keep moving the pillows and position until she stops. (shows she is comfy)

I massage the muscle part of her thighs to help with the circulation. I put some 'pick-no-more' on the scales of her legs because the cinnamon and cayenne mixed in with the aloevera might help circulation. She dislikes this (I put it on my hand where I had a fresh cut and it does not burn) I think it is the 'gel feeling' on her legs she dislikes. When I do it she shows her dislike by pedalling her legs. She hates it, but I consider it physio therapy when she moves, so I pick her up and have her pedal around a little bit several times a day. (I don't do the cream much, I did it twice, it helped clean her scales a little, but didn't seem to do anything else)

I gave her 2ml of both of the meds in a syringe, with a little water to help her hydrate....

all the other chickens come into the kitchen to sit on the floor and look at her. I don't know if they are visiting her or trying to get in on her special snacks ;) It is hard to tell what motivates a hen sometimes... I will assume they are being concerned and loving, but I have sisters, and I am not sure this is all kindness-and-concern.
; ) Keep it up and let me know how things are going. I'd research those YouTubes as well. She really knows her stuff and has numerous videos on chicken health.

; ) Keep it up and let me know how things are going. I'd research those YouTubes as well. She really knows her stuff and has numerous videos on chicken health.
Did your hen ever improve? I just lost my fourth hen in 5 weeks. She just died with no warning. I took her in and had a necropsy done. I have Marek's in my flock. : ( I have 38 remaining chickens. Hoping the death rate does not increase. I thought my Polish rooster had Marek's. He still might, but Poultry Cell helped his lameness. It's been 3 weeks now. I would think he'd have passed by now. It's been crazy ride for me. A HUGE learning experience!!

The leg paralysis and blindness forms of Marek’s sometimes take a long time to progress to the fatal stage and meanwhile the sick chicken keeps shedding the virus on the other chickens in the feather dandruff. Vitamins don’t help with Marek’s but they can help if the paralysis isn’t caused by Marek’s. There are some other diseases and problems that can cause paralysis but Marek’s is extremely common.

Did your hen ever improve? I just lost my fourth hen in 5 weeks. She just died with no warning. I took her in and had a necropsy done. I have Marek's in my flock. : ( I have 38 remaining chickens. Hoping the death rate does not increase. I thought my Polish rooster had Marek's. He still might, but Poultry Cell helped his lameness. It's been 3 weeks now. I would think he'd have passed by now. It's been crazy ride for me. A HUGE learning experience!!
If you have had Mareks confirmed via necropsy all of your birds have mareks, some will be resistant to the virus while others will succumb. Even your birds that are showing no symptoms are still carriers and are still shedding the virus. Birds that are symptomatic sheds the virus at a much higher pace. You will have to keep a closed flock, no rehoming any birds.

Back
Top Bottom