Lame muscovy duck

brandy21410

Songster
Feb 26, 2016
Apple Valley (high desert) , Ca
Hello BYC, I have a muscovy duck that was born May 30th. On July 20th I noticed that he could no longer walk and now walkes on his hock joints. I dont think it's a slipped tendon or any kind of injury because he is penned up and theres really no way for him to get injured really in the pen he is in and also because it's happening in both of his legs. I have been treating him with niacin ever since because I think it is a niacin deficiency. However, he has not made any improvements at all. I have been giving one 250mg niacin tab crushed in the food and another crushed in his water. Just to make sure hes getting enough. I also give him fresh greens and other snacks all the time. My question is should I keep treating him or should I cull? Has anyone had any experience with this possibly? Also he has 5 sisters and brothers that are perfectly fine! TIA!!
20180811_090755.jpg
20180811_090654.jpg

A few years back one of my muscovy drake couldn't walk either. After a few months he improved and was back to normal. I would give yours some time to see. I think sometimes they grow too fast. What are you feeding? I would be feeding a good flock raiser.

A few years back one of my muscovy drake couldn't walk either. After a few months he improved and was back to normal. I would give yours some time to see. I think sometimes they grow too fast. What are you feeding? I would be feeding a good flock raiser.
Did your drake try to move arround alot? Mine only moves to the food and back to the water ect. Also I do feed flock raiser to all my birds and niacin supplemented.

Did your drake try to move arround alot? Mine only moves to the food and back to the water ect. Also I do feed flock raiser to all my birds and niacin supplemented.
Mine just kinda sat on a pile of hay pooping himself for a while. Eventually he started scooching around. You could try putting him in a tote of water or pool to see if he can use his legs. If he can he may need to build strength. If his legs don't move or he doesn't try culling might be the best option.

Mine just kinda sat on a pile of hay pooping himself for a while. Eventually he started scooching around. You could try putting him in a tote of water or pool to see if he can use his legs. If he can he may need to build strength. If his legs don't move or he doesn't try culling might be the best option.
I should have added that I put him a pool to allow him to swim but he doesn't. He doesnt really use his legs he just used his tail to move arround and his toes stay mainly curled

Can you upload a video of him to youtube or Vimeo then copy/paste the link here? It would also be helpful to see some close-up pictures of his legs, especially his hocks.

Back
Top Bottom