Lamona Chicken Fanciers Thread

Lamona Chicken Fanciers Thread Poll

• We currently have Lamona large fowl chickens.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • We currently have Lamona bantam chickens.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We would be interested in breeding Lamonas chickens.

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • We are members of the ALBC.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • We are members of the APA.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • We are members of the ABA.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • We are members of the SPPA.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pics
A worthy and worthwhile project. I do agree that white dorkings would be an easier starting place that the silvers as one would fight the pyle influence for generations. I would think that the original mating records would still be available from the Beltsville USDA Lab. I think that many of our production oriented breeds have lost that vigor to the showroom and we as poultry keepers need to remember that the Standard calls for the most useful type to be selected. If a chicken cannot breed, lay and reproduce its kind it is no longer useful. It is for this reason that all of my cochins are natural breeders and the males very aggressive breeders, so much so that even without trimming I get some level of fertility. Mr. Lamon's breeding records would be an invaluable resource to understand the exact combinations which resulted in the final product he achieved.

Bo

Quote:
Wished they were here!. We ended up with three chicks from the last hatch. One did not make it. The sole chick from the first harch did not survive the 110 degree last week.

Tom, misplaced your number. Can you drop me a call at your convienence? 870-723-3724

Quote:
When I started my project I tried to get the information from Beltsville Lab. It was like hunting for a needle in a haystack and the final response I got was that it was not housed with them. If anyone finds the information I would very much like to hear about it or have a copy (just in case I decide to do it again). I went with the next best thing and spoke with people that personally knew Harry. Most said they didn't know much, but most gave me a piece that I could use. Some gave me much more than others of course!

I have a quad of beautiful white leghorn bantams now and will keep this line going. I have decided to go the bantam route but still no rocks or dorkings. I can find rocks but not sure about bantam dorkings.

Quote:
Good luck Jim!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom