Landscaping and Plantings for a Free Range Flock

Pics
I've used chicken wire to protect my basil. Boy do the girls love it! I have quite a few hostas in pots and use it over them. I have an issue with squirrels digging in my pots.

Last edited:
I've used chicken wire to protect my basil. Boy do the girls love it! I have quite a few hostas in pots and use it over them. I have an issue with squirrels digging in my pots.

You eat hostas?

I have an organic solution for squirrels here. I use pure lead on them. I have figured out they were costing me nearly a bag of feed a day I have so many furry creatures.

I like my Chickens to weed my garden. I have an "onion" bed/garden. I have winter onions in it. the chickens do a great job weeding them, they do not seem to like those onions. BUT I planted Walla Walla onions this spring and they pulled out and ate everyone. Is this normal? Why eat one onion and not the other?

Today I got more photos of my Grasses.
I'm just starting out. So I have just two varieties. One is doing well the other not so much.

The one that I'm most impressed with has been Miscanthus. I'm not sure if it's morning light or Purpurascens as it does seem to be turning purply here this fall but not as much as some photos show purpurascens to turn. At any rate this Miscanthus is pretty green out of the gate in the spring and through summer. Seed head start tassling mid to late August, looking good through September and then Keeping a beautiful fuzzy interest through winter even. It's Tall about. 5 feet or more. I like it as it seems to be too bristly for chickens or the dog even to chew on the blades. With a few more specimens placed together. Chickens can find cover between the clumps and 'camo up'. They are tall and stately and provide height and interest in the garden. Really Really like these tall grasses.

Down at the coop I have a varigated grass and I cannot tell you the type. As I've since thrown away the descriptive pot insert. This is a shady sort of dark spot in the summer. And I was looking for a brighter foliage for in front of this coop in this smallish oval rock garden I made. The chickens do like to step on and tear this one down. And they can. So does the yellow labrador. It's appealing to all the pets and not in a good way. As you can tell by it's thin appearance. I may move it up to the hill garden and put something else down here ...like maybe more Annabelle Hydrangea. I will tell you though I thought a hardy dwarf pampas grass would look good here.

My Grass Bucket List: Pampas grass White. Will need to be careful as I'm in a sketchy zone for it. We may be too cold. I'm intrigued with the new gold colored Japanese forest grasses. And Also Porcupine grass or gold bar grass. Do any of you all have ornamental grasses? How do you like them? Photos?

Last edited:
Hows everyone doing? We might have to count on our Southern Hemisphere folks keeping us rolling as our gardening season is about done.

I will tell you those crazy bachelor buttons of mine though are still going and blooming. The stems are still green! That little fuzzy stem must give them a bit more protection on the cooler nights.

Hows everyone doing? We might have to count on our Southern Hemisphere folks keeping us rolling as our gardening season is about done.

I will tell you those crazy bachelor buttons of mine though are still going and blooming. The stems are still green! That little fuzzy stem must give them a bit more protection on the cooler nights.

I am doing great here in the Banana belt. We are planting grass seeds and plan to pick some broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage this afternoon.

G’Day … how am I doing? Melting! Lol

Predicted maximum is 97F [36C] today and currently the relative humidity is 86%
sickbyc.gif

The garden is loving it! I was just commenting to hubby that the tomato plants are part triffid!
wink.png

It's official. Gardening season is over! Top photo is from this past Friday. 18 + inches of heavy white stuff. It was a mess out there. It will no doubt stick and we have a great base set for winter sports the rest of the year. Unless we get a week of melting weather. Which I'm never opposed to since I've got chickens.

Bottom photo. A cache of olive eggs from my Blue Ameraucana. Love having pullets in the coop this time of year.

We got a dusting last night. Garden season not over for me. Clean up of garden will continue until ground frozen. The rest of gardening effort has simply moved inside, and into green house, cold frame, pots in front of windows, and sprouting jars. Then, there will be the sweet potato sprouts this year, and before you know it, it will be time to start seedlings.

Love the eggs. From my 16 girls, I'm getting about 12 eggs/week. delaying starting a light, b/c I have quite a few eggs stored in fridge.

Back
Top Bottom