Large red lump with black center on chicken belly-disgusting- what is it?

Coastal Chick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Wilmington, NC
One of my 7 chickens has a large red lump with a scabby black center on her belly area. We found it when we picked her up. She didn't show any changes in behaviors. No one else has shown any. What is it and what do I do about it. It is disgusting. See picture. Thank you!

Last edited:
That is strange. It almost looks like bumblefoot, except on her belly. She may have gotten it from her perch, since she appears to be a pretty large bird.
Try cleaning it off as best you can and putting some ointment on it. With bumblefoot, problems like this need usually surgical removal, however, because she isn't walking on it it probably isn't as likely to become as infected.
Could she have been attacked by a predator? Was she recently broody?

Best of luck!
smile.png

I dont think she came in contact with a predator. They roam around the back yard which is fenced in and the others are all fine. They are in an enclosed pen at night. I wonder if she did get it from her perch. She had not been broody either. How would she get it from the perch though? I wish I knew what it is. The dark spot looks like it is scabby and we could pull it off. I am a bit afraid to do that though. She has gotten really dirty too. We have thought of bathing them to clean off their dirty butts. Nothing has changed with food or anything else that I can see and no other birds were added to the flock. Thoughts?

Heavy birds can sometimes get blisters on their keel bone from resting on hard objects. This can become infected and lead to a condition very much like Bumblefoot, in which case you have to open up the wound to let it drain. I'm not sure if it truly is this, though, so its just a thought.

That is so helpful. Thank you. I looked up pictures of bumblefoot and it definitely looks like that. No one else can get it right? I put some antibiotic on it and then went out of town for a week. My husband was home but kind of forgot about it. It looks exactly the same as before and she still acts like she always does. Maybe I will soak her in warm water and see if we can get it off without hurting her and put some medicine on it. She is the biggest bird. :)

That is so helpful. Thank you. I looked up pictures of bumblefoot and it definitely looks like that. No one else can get it right? I put some antibiotic on it and then went out of town for a week. My husband was home but kind of forgot about it. It looks exactly the same as before and she still acts like she always does. Maybe I will soak her in warm water and see if we can get it off without hurting her and put some medicine on it. She is the biggest bird. :)
I'm very interested in how you are making out with this problem as I have a bird with the exact same thing! She too is the heaviest bird?

Hi Kim, We have just kind of let it go because it doesnt seem to bother her or anyone else. It looks a bit better but I think I have to tear off the scab and clean it out. I have been reluctant because I dont know how to cover it once I open it up. I also need to find out where to get chicken antibiotics. We turned her over yesterday to look at it and she has lost weight, which is a bit concerning and you can feel that bone all the way up and down her whole abdomen. I think she rubbed a spot raw and it got infected. It is super gross! Ive had people say it is a parasite and recommend killing her to protect others. I dont think it is a parasite and everyone else is fine. Im sure it is not good for her to have an infection for so long. I might call my dog vet and see what they recommend. Let me know if you find out anything different. Natasha :)

Did you ever get answers to your issue? Wondering what any of you ended up doing for this or how it resolved bc I have a hen with the same exact thing. She’s def not feeling well- eating/drinking but less than usual, and at times separates herself from the flock when they’re free ranging. So far on all the pics/posts I’ve found on the web that look just like this, no one knows for sure what it is or how to treat.

Did you ever get answers to your issue? Wondering what any of you ended up doing for this or how it resolved bc I have a hen with the same exact thing. She’s def not feeling well- eating/drinking but less than usual, and at times separates herself from the flock when they’re free ranging. So far on all the pics/posts I’ve found on the web that look just like this, no one knows for sure what it is or how to treat.
Hi, I'm hoping you or someone else can post a follow up, as I have a hen with exactly the same issue too. I just got her so I don't know whether to keep her seperate, in case she introduces disease to the flock. I have put on a hydrogen peroxide based wound cream after a bath and have spent hours on the internet trying to find an answer! Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom