Large swollen red bulge on behind- help!

RobinS1217

Songster
Aug 7, 2022
Eastern TN
I have an almost year older BPR layer. My daughters noticed she had a dirty behind. I started washing her on the low shower setting from our hose attachment which allowed me to see she had dried clumps in her butt fluff. I ended up cutting away the clumps and that revealed her really red and angry bottom. (Not vent- down below like the top area between her legs...sorry I’m not using the correct anatomy. I didn’t have gloves and I have psoriasis with open wounds on my hands so I didn’t touch or feel but it almost looked like a bulging ball. Think stress ball. Could this be inflammation from the weight of the dried poo pulling her feathers down or is this something more serious? It’s really windy and chilly here today. I isolated her to dry off and so others wouldn’t peck at her exposed red behind.

Attachments

• 6277C7DC-8D85-4C96-BF6C-1C69300B2686.jpeg
    6277C7DC-8D85-4C96-BF6C-1C69300B2686.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 299C8C03-82FE-4136-BF60-7C7469556225.jpeg
    299C8C03-82FE-4136-BF60-7C7469556225.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 15
  • DF3F0B9E-A988-49FC-9E3C-E9EAE26D6CD9.jpeg
    DF3F0B9E-A988-49FC-9E3C-E9EAE26D6CD9.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 18
If that back area is swollen (I don't know what it's called either) it could be internal laying or another reproductive disorder.
Oh no 😩😢 that’s one thing that’s so intimidating to me. We don’t have a vet within 2 hours and 1000$ Everything we’ve had to handle illness wise over the last 3 years I’ve had to manage myself. Is there a way to KNOW it’s internal laying?

If it helps to know just last night I discovered and did exactly what you posted about here cleaning off hard poop off her feather and it’s inflamed and bulging but vent was clear. We thought maybe she was egg bound. This morning we have our girl a 40 min epsom salt bath and dried her off and put her in a crate. She did a perfectly normal poop. I decided to take her and her poop to our chicken vet just to be safe and they ended up checking her stool- all normal and did Xrays- no egg just inflammation. We brought her home and we’ll be watching her and hoping she recovers! Hoping this helps and tour’s recovers as well! Would love to know if you find out more too.

If it helps to know just last night I discovered and did exactly what you posted about here cleaning off hard poop off her feather and it’s inflamed and bulging but vent was clear. We thought maybe she was egg bound. This morning we have our girl a 40 min epsom salt bath and dried her off and put her in a crate. She did a perfectly normal poop. I decided to take her and her poop to our chicken vet just to be safe and they ended up checking her stool- all normal and did Xrays- no egg just inflammation. We brought her home and we’ll be watching her and hoping she recovers! Hoping this helps and tour’s recovers as well! Would love to know if you find out more too.
That helps tremendously!

We had ours separated still today and she did lay an egg that appears her usual. Not sure what’s up. The redness went down after 24 hours but it’s still red and swollen.

We had ours separated still today and she did lay an egg that appears her usual. Not sure what’s up. The redness went down after 24 hours but it’s still red and swollen.
It seems like the swelling has gone down on ours too but not gone away. She is eating, moving and being a normal chicken jumping over our fence even yesterday to scratch in our yard! Hoping they continue to get better. Our is 5yrs old so I’m not sure if this could be part of getting older too.

Thank you I'm dealing.with thos too. One of my best layers keeled over a week ago and now a second one has a large swollen vent area, but she's eating amd pooping normal. Will try the Epsom bath tomorrow. I checked as for 2 days I only got 1 egg from the 2 remaining layers and they are usually.like clock work. I may separate them to be sure.who is laying amd who is not as I didn't feel an egg in tne swollen one either time I checked...farming, it's always something 🤪.

Back
Top Bottom