Late Fall chicks

Heat

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Washington
This morning I went to open up my chicken coop per usual, however before I reached the door knob I heard the sound of chirping coming from inside. Low and behold as soon as the door was opened I saw 7 little black fuzzballs hoping around the coop floor, mama nearby (I thought she was a goner as I have lost a lot of chickens to our neighborhood coyote this past summer/fall).

Is it common for hens to go broody in the fall and bring back chicks right before winter? I am just shocked she was stuck through it, we have had high winds and below freezing temps for a week straight.

Also, should I take any extra precautions to make sure they survive to get their feathers? I am thinking about throwing a red heat light out there, but is this necessary? Will mama keep them warm enough? I assume since she hatched them this time of year she won't have a problem... I am just a worried chicken mama, lol.

This is the first year my hens have decided to bring me chicks (50+over the summer) so I am not really sure what I should or shouldn't do.

Not common but not unheard of either. I have a hen who went broody in November and I gave her a single egg to hatch because I don't really want chicks this time of year. The chick will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. If you look in my signature at the link for "Should I add supplemental heat?", it gives detail (and pics) of this chick a few days ago when the thermometer registered just 3 degrees.

Mama Hen will keep the chicks warm - you don't need to worry about that. And, it turns out chicks can take much colder temperatures than we give them credit for when we raise them in a brooder. They are really quite hardy little things.

The main thing is to ensure they have a waterer that provides water rather than ice and that they can't get submerged in and get wet. And food that they can access. Mama will do all the rest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom