Late hatch! Chicks weak, unabsorbed yoke sacs

Kathryn4629

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Colbert, WA
Ok, I have some questions. First here are the details.

Today is day 23 and I have 13/36 hatched. Chicks are pipping and hatching as I type. I have had 2 that didn't completely absorb the yokes. These two seem to be acting normal. 1 chick just zipped and didn't completely pop its top, it is dead now. I just looked at it, and it looked normal, and had absorbed yoke. Another chick was bleeding really bad yesterday, better today. I know that my temps were really low for the first 5 or 6 days, fixed the thermometer problem. I am running at about 80% humidity. It is taking forever for chicks to dry out.

Questions:
1) Do I need to do anything special for the chicks with yoke sac problems?
2) Any ideas on why the chick died? Am I doing something wrong?
3) How long do you guys think that they will continue to hatch?
4) Is 80% humidity to high?
5) one chick has a "air bubble" at the base of its neck right by the wing. Its not the crop, its translucent and filled with air. Like a blister.

Last edited:
Well my experience is that if the yolk is still real big it will probably die. If it is already mostly absorbed it should be fine. 80% humidity is high and the chicks won't dry very fast. There are a lot of reasons why they dont hatch. Some say dont help them hatch because they need to go through the hatching experience to be stronger birds. I personally help any of mine if i think they need it. That is after 24 hours and no progress. If your temp was low i would give it another day or two. I have no idea about the air bubble. Hope this helps.

Well my experience is that if the yolk is still real big it will probably die. If it is already mostly absorbed it should be fine. 80% humidity is high and the chicks won't dry very fast. There are a lot of reasons why they dont hatch. Some say dont help them hatch because they need to go through the hatching experience to be stronger birds. I personally help any of mine if i think they need it. That is after 24 hours and no progress. If your temp was low i would give it another day or two. I have no idea about the air bubble. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your response!! I just checked the chicks with the yoke problems and they seem to be doing well. The sacs have dried up and look like they are about to fall off. YAY!! I l leaving them in the incubator until the sacs fall off so as they dont get pecked at in the brooder. Good idea? The blister thing on the chick seems to have gone down.

Back
Top Bottom